Thursday, March 01, 2007

Road Rage

I am very proud to say, I had my first bout of road rage last night. For those who know me, this is very out of character. The closest I've ever been before is being next to Petrovich while he was yelling at someone. But now I've had my very own car-screaming experience.

All right, here's the situation. I was at an intersection that was more crowded than usual b/c of a lane closure. I was letting in an SUV, who had gotten trapped in the closed lane, and was giving him some space, due to his largess. Well, the mother fucking cunt bag behind first honks and then when I don't move forward, actually bumps my car!!!!!

I was furious and instantly was yelling and swearing at him with crazed motions (he couldn't hear me, but still, he could feel my anger!). To make things weirder, we were barely moving, so after I finished my rant, his car was still there and not going anywhere. Now I had a decision to make. Should I (a) Go kick his ass, (b) Go talk to him, or (c) Let it go. After a few moments of stewing, I went to talk to the fucker.

I'm sure there are various parallel universes out there where I would have been beaten to a pulp. But in last night's version, it ended up being a good idea and went like this:

"Did you just bump my car?"
"Yeah, I'm totally sorry. I really didn't mean to."
"Well I thought you were mad for me not moving."
"Yeah, and I was trying to get you to move forward, but I really didn't want to hit your car."

At this I was totally satisfied. And more so, realizing that if I hadn't talked to him, I probably would've been bitter for years to come (like how I'm still mad about not saying anything to the guy who shushed me at music performance 3 years ago). So there's my story, how about you guys? Where are you on the road rage scale of 1 to 10? Any good stories? Feel free to add bike or pedestrian rage stories, I think you may have 1 or 2 Petro...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael5000 said...

Going to talk took balls. Accepting an apology took general good-dudeness. Excellent road rage story for the ChuckDaddy!

8:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petrovich here. I am so proud of you Chuckdaady. Be careful though, there are nut cases out there with guns. I remember when I was once sitting shotgun and a guy on a bike was coming down the WRONG side of the street, almost hit my friend's car, and then proceeded to scream "Assholes!" at us. Well, I am usually on the biker's side in these things, but this idiot was, well, an idiot. So yelled something and he turned around. I got out of the car ready to kick ass, and he pulled out his bike lock (a big one) and came after me with it. I ran...
I also almost got hit one in Oakland by some fuckhead while I was on a bike. I did nothing wrong, but the guy thought I was taking up too much room. He honked, made me almost crash (honking is scary when on a bike), yelled something at me, and then tried to cut me off. Well, I watched him go down the street and eventually park at a Ralphs grocery store. I followed him to his parking place, threw down my bike, and yelled at him and threatened him to the point where I may have taken a few years off of his life. Like most loudmouths in cars, this guy was nothing and I happened to be in one of my serious workout phases. The dumbass apologized and looked like he wanted to cry.
I have plenty more that involve alot of swearing, spitting and middle fingers, but I have to go. Again, good job Charlie.

7:36 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Petrovich- perhaps you should start a blog that is all about your various road rage experiences. Wouldn't that be kind of funny?

Michael- I probably should mention that the guy looked to be in his early 50's and harmless. But yes, I am proud of myself anyway.

10:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck,
I too am impressed with your constructive confrontation skills. One of the reasons I take mass transit is that I have a trigger hair reaction with road rage and can't stand it. I can't go for a drive without getting peeved at someone. Luckily, it has only resulted in yelling bouts - no bike locks in my face.
I'm glad the guy didn't have a Saturday night special in his glove box - that's pretty extreme to go ahead and bump you, and indicates an agressive personality. But if you feel better now that's all that matters.

7:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can vouch for MF's road rage. Not fun, especially when he is driving your car...

MF, didn't some asshole track you down when you were on your bike b/c he thought you cut him off?

3:15 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Be careful! He could have been a far less friendly guy with a "deuce-deuce" in his glove box.

7:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home