Thursday, February 15, 2007

Totally Gay Snickers Ad

If anyone remembers that really stupid Snicker Superbowl ad (the one where the 2 guys are working on a car and accidentally kiss going after a Snickers), the only controversy most probably felt possible was on a scale of 1-10, how unfunny was it.

But controversial it is. I guess if you go to the web site (what total losers go out of there way to watch Snickers' ads?) there are other more violent ads (with their reaction being to beat the shit out of each other) and a whole segment with Colts and Bears players responding extremely negatively to guys kissing. Well, after complaints from GLAAD, Snickers has decided to pull the commercials.

Now, I personally don't really have an opinion either way. When I first saw it I was actually confused on who it was intended to offend. Part of me thought it was pretty post-Brokeback to show guys kissing and thought the religious right was going to be up in arms. The next day at school though, when my middle school students (probably the target audience) talked about the ad it was clear to me the intention was to gross out.

Anyway, I read about this on a sportsblog. And I found the comments more interesting than the debate. They're all over the place. But you have these weird combinations where someone regales the gay community for being oversensitive and then proceeds to full-on insult them. But there's some very random ones as well. I particularly liked the comment by the guy who goes into the fact that the commercial was too ridiculous to even be considered and recommends them accidentally holding hands as a funnier option. I totally agreed with him, but he seemed to be missing the point.

Here's a clip of it (btw, how do the cool kids get the picture of the video on their blog?)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I remember seeing that ad. It was totally hot. I needed to take a cold shower afterwards.

2:25 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

hey, the old cherry pic!!!
As a straight, snickers eater, I'm not the least bit offended.

It wasn't funny, nor were any of those commercials. The outcome of the game stunk too.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, cause I'm a bitter Bears' fan.

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home