Saturday, February 10, 2007

Beer Belly of Steel


So, an update on my month before New Year's resolution. I've been doing pretty well w/ my 3 sets of push-ups and crunches before the TV. A nice extra trick I've learned is to make my goal 5 times a week, b/c when it ends up being 4 times that week you still haven't done so badly (or is it bad?).


But I do have one problem. And this goes out to people who have been working out for more than 2 months. I feel a little bit of difference, but instead of my beer belly disappearing, it just just seems to be growing harder. I'm starting to think my flabby little pouch is transforming into a beer belly of steel! So here are my work-out questions. (A) Is this just the first step of getting in shape? And soon the belly will begin to recede? (B) Is this what happens when you fail to combine crunches with any sort of aerobic exercise? Or (C) (PLEASE DON"T SAY IT"S TRUE) Am I completely missing the point and what I really need to do is stop drinking beer on weeknights???

Any advice will be appreciated.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

Yes, yes and yes.
You are your own guru.

12:25 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I've heard you have to suck in your belly all the way when you do the sit-ups. A rock-hard beer gut can be handy though, like a guy could try to punch you in the belly, and he'll break his hand, and you'll have your hands on your hips and your head in air, menacingly laughing at him.

6:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petrovich here. I have drank too much for many years and although my belly has a new flabby lining due to eating too much while at work, I have yet to experience a beer belly since high school. Therefore, I may be some sort of expert on this subject. Charlie, you need some other exercise. Or, you need to cut down on your calorie intake. But fuck that, just move around a little more. Take Jack OVER Tabor rather than just to it; always walk to bars rather than drive; hell, walk to the grocery store. Oh, and chill on the chips and salsa. Do all that and you can preserve your beer intake. Remember, beer alone is nobody's enemy. I can also show you some different sit up routines that might help.

7:53 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:02 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Wise soul Petrovich, I will consider your prescriptions. Except the part about chips and salsa. Watch your step on that pal.

10:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm certainly no Jack Lalane or more appropriately Jane Fonda, but here are some questions.

Are you tightening your abs when doing sit-ups? If you don't you could be building up the wrong set of muscles. Try to plank position (sounds like a dirty pirate trick).

Are you drinking enough water? Chips have a lot of sodium so maybe you are retaining water? Do you feel like you have PMS and look fat in your favorite jeans?

7:59 am  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I could tell you yes, yes and YES but instead I'd like to commend you on your picture of Colussus circa 1986.

12:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home