Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Garbage Time

A friend and I were talking and realized that we both were assigned garbage/recycling duty in our respective households. We both thought that this was kind of funny, in its typicalness and threw out some reasons why. His theory was that guys tended to it b/c of the dirt factor. This seemed too easy to me, and a little silly, when you consider that most household tasks are dirty. My theory was that men were assigned to it b/c it was a cut and dry concrete task. When is a bathroom clean is always debatable. Not so, that I took the garbage out on Monday.

After some more discussion we thought of a third theory, that it was in the male domain b/c it sounded much more labor intensive then it really was. Saying you're in charge of recycling makes it seem as if you really are taking on your part of the division of household labor, but really it only equals 15 minutes of labor once a week. So some questions. First of all, is it even true that garbage/recycling is the guy's job? And which theory do people think is right?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myself and Mrs. 5000 do the garbage and recycling together, in a highly formalized Sunday night ritual. I specialize in the upstairs, the catpans, and the paper recycling; she specializes in the main floor, basement, metals and plastics, and keeping track of when it's yard debris week.

Those who know us well will not be surprised, though they may be embarassed on our behalf, to know there is a garbage night jingle, which is often sung at the outset of the proceedings to lend a sense of occasion.

M5M

10:46 pm  
Blogger classyandfancy said...

I would side with theory #2 because it is a measurable duty that isn't really all that dirty. I mean it's already in bags. I also think that it's not extremely labor intensive. What are you guys throwing out? Dead bodies?

10:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We share garbage/recycling duties,although truth be told MF rarely takes the garbage out and focuses more on the recycling. We are non-traditional like that.

9:09 am  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Yeah, I think it is a guy's job, and I think it is because of theory #1 -- because it seems dirty/messy (even though you bring up a good counter-point re: the bathroom. But in my house growing up us boys still had to clean the bathroom as well. My mom was a total bitch.)

11:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I hate to air our dirty garbage on the CDX, "rarely" is not a word I would use to describe the frequency that I take out the garbage.

As is typical of guys, I tend to wait until the garbage bag is completely and utterly full before I take it out. Ehmo apparently feels that it should be taken out at an earlier time, thus resulting in the purchase of more garbage bags than are actually needed.

12:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He lies. He lies. MF just doesn't pay enough attention to the garbage level.

2:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think that maybe emho and miguelito frigolito know each other outside of the CDX community....

4:00 pm  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

I'm not sure which theory is correct... but I've always been stuck with garbage duty. And I am tired of it!

9:20 am  
Blogger ReckenRoll said...

In my house of me, I take out the garbage. In my house growing up, my dad took out the garbage but I suspect that was because he like to sneak in a cigarette break and why not be helpful in the process.

So helpful, I am not. Maybe all you boys are secret smokers and just don't know it?

11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home