Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Best Movies of 2006

Yes, the Oscars are coming! Not sure why I always get so excited for this event, since it is always too long. But still fun somehow... Anyway, if I was King of the Oscars, here would be my five movies of the year, in no particular order.

1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. The Queen
3. Little Miss Sunshine
4. Devil Wears Prada
5. Borat

I didn't include The Departed, which I just saw this weekend. I enjoyed it and was into it, but couldn't help but think it was secretly a bad movie. Am I alone on this? I mean, how couldn't I pay attention to a multiple back stabbing double agents killing and stealing and confusing me. But I felt like it was a little ridiculous and easy.

Like, I know we're dealing with cops and robbers, but didn't they all seem a bit over aggressive? There were like 7 fist fights in the movie, 3 alone between cops. I wanted to tell everyone to chill out a little, but then I might have noticed that it wasn't really that good of a movie. Like, was there even an attempt at a theme, other then rats die? Overall, a satisfying movie watching experience followed by a bad aftertaste, and not even in the ballpark of Scorsese's own Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, King of Comedy, or even The Aviator.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger ReckenRoll said...

Are you participating in any of the Oscar picking games? I am at a loss on who to pick for Best Supporting Actor.

11:00 am  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

I've only seen #2 & #3 and like them. But I love getting caught up in the Oscar buzz. :)

12:46 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Katie-

My work always has one, and I never win. But I'm putting my money on Alan Arkin. 3-time nominee, in a weak field, who did a good job. And if he doesn't win it but his little girl co-star wins? I'll be pissed.

8:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckdaddy,
I feel your pain on the Departed - I thought the first 2/3 was pretty solid, but the last 1/3 sort of blew it. I do feel like it was overrated and not Scorsese's best.

My top 5 of the year...
1) The Devil & Daniel Johnston
2) The Proposition
3) Little Miss Sunshine
4) Street Fight
5) Lady Vengeance
6) Pan's Labyrinth
7) When the Levees Broke
8) Borat

OK that's more than 5 - there's probably more.... I only have about 20 movies at home right now, maybe I should watch one...

9:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't really like the Departed, but that's no surprise since I'm usually lukewarm on cop dramas. Am I the only one who didn't LOVE Little Miss Sunshine? I mean it was a good movie, but I found it a tad cheesey and the great cast was the most redeeming quality of the film.

9:05 am  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Don't worry, I won't see The Departed, since I have an irrational hatred of Matt Damon.

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home