Sunday, February 18, 2007

Guest DJ: Miguelito Frigolito



Although I consider myself an above-average music fan, I am certainly not in the league of the various music aficionados that visit this site. That's why it's a little strange when I'm doing the initiation of some new music; it really should be the other way around.




So here's my idea. Every month or so a different Chuckdaddy rider can tell us about some good music they've been listening to (old or new is fine). The guest can just write their music blog as a comment and then I can cut+paste (I am so technological!) it onto the main page. So what do you think Mike? Are you game? Will the real Miguelito Frigolito please stand up?


Miguelito Frigolito: "I'm surprised a slew of Miguelito's haven’t stepped forward yet to pontificate on their current musical rotation….These days it’s 80 – 90% electronic stuff, kind of thing that I don’t think floats the boat of majority of Chuckdaddy and/or other readers.There’s not a whole lot in rotation that hasn’t been discussed on these pages already. There’s PB&J, who are slated to come here to the Doug Fir in May – their album just got a domestic release stateside and their late night appearance on Conan was nice. Speaking of TV, the Arcade Fire are the musical guest on SNL this Saturday night.Craigeokie and I discussed the greatness of the latest Hold Steady album on Saturday night.


Craig was also talking up locals Deerhunter (not to be confused with Deerhoof, who also have a new album out) – from what I’ve heard not my cup o’ tea but apparently the latest thing with the kids. One thing I agree on with Dustin – the new Of Montreal album is worth a listen – still need to download it to the MP3 player though.Ehmo wants Petrovitch to download the new Clap Your Hands and Bloc Party albums….In my to-be-downloaded list that I’m most seeking are a couple of various artists CDs: Urban Africa Club and The Bombay Connection: Funk From Bollywood Action Thrillers… Anybody heard these yet? On the electronic set, check out Villalobos’ Fizheuer Zieheuer, one track, 37 minutes of pure bliss…"

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I heard a song by M. Ward that really caught my attention, and I spent a good deal of time today downloading his stuff. If you can find his Post-War album or his cover of Green River, check it out. More mellow than what I usually like, but it's good.

4:34 pm  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Great idea. I look forward to reading!

8:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised a slew of Miguelito's haven’t stepped forward yet to pontificate on their current musical rotation….
These days it’s 80 – 90% electronic stuff, kind of thing that I don’t think floats the boat of majority of Chuckdaddy and/or other readers.

There’s not a whole lot in rotation that hasn’t been discussed on these pages already. There’s PB&J, who are slated to come here to the Doug Fir in May – their album just got a domestic release stateside and their late night appearance on Conan was nice. Speaking of TV, the Arcade Fire are the musical guest on SNL this Saturday night.

Craigeokie and I discussed the greatness of the latest Hold Steady album on Saturday night… Craig was also talking up locals Deerhunter (not to be confused with Deerhoof, who also have a new album out) – from what I’ve heard not my cup o’ tea but apparently the latest thing with the kids.

One thing I agree on with Dustin – the new Of Montreal album is worth a listen – still need to download it to the MP3 player though.
Ehmo wants Petrovitch to download the new Clap Your Hands and Bloc Party albums….

In my to-be-downloaded list that I’m most seeking are a couple of various artists CDs: Urban Africa Club and The Bombay Connection: Funk From Bollywood Action Thrillers… Anybody heard these yet?

On the electronic set, check out Villalobos’ Fizheuer Zieheuer, one track, 37 minutes of pure bliss…

9:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CDX, you'd like the Hold Steady. Good energy.

I've mentioned this to you before, but let's make it official. You should check out 1968 by Pajo. It's not exactly my bag, but "Foolish King" is undoubtedly a great tune.

9:22 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Funk From Bollywood Action Thrillers? That sounds... not sure how that would sound...

I will check out Hold Steady. I did download the new Clap Your Hands, many reviews have been negative so with my reduced expectations I'm still undecided. Probably, though, it's no comparison to their first.

Dr. Ken- I downloaded the M Ward album this summer and liked it, then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

10:48 pm  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

M Ward... you gots to represent your PDX. Make sure you are listening to Menomena too.

7:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hold Steady album is very nice.

I've got the Of Montreal album, but so far it's not really doing much for me. Any thoughts on what to look for in it? Get me over the hump, here -- I WANT to like it.

6:46 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Just got the Hold Steady album. I kinda like it, but remain a little suspicious. I keep on waiting for them to break out with, "Jesse's Girl." Any connection?

And I just went and sampled the Of Montreal album, but sounded too electronic para mua. But their Gay Parade sounds good. Am I just way behind the times on that one?

2:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deerhunter is THE shizzle for those of you that like fractured dream-pop, updated shoegaze, psychedelic bliss-outs, post-punk, and avante comparisons to the fantastic Spacemen 3. The lead singer has a rare genetic disease and has already lived long past his life expectation (I think he's in his early 20s - and yes, knowing this kind of makes the songs sound more sentimental). Also, for you electronic nerds, I can't get enough of Panda Bear. The Of Montreal album is really growing on me- going to check them out Saturday night. Keep your eyes out for Bill Callahan's new one- Woke On A Whaleheart, coming in April.

11:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home