Monday, May 14, 2007

Fashion Issue #5: Is Preppy Back?

Has anyone else noticed that preppy is back? I went clothes shopping this weekend and saw everything from Izod's to rugby shirts to (confusingly) rumpled button-downs w/ the sleeves rolled up. I've even seen some of my students rockin' the Polo! So my question is, why is preppy coming back? Here are a few possible theories.

1. 80's is the current retro-decade-du-jour. First we heard it in the music, now it's in the clothes.
2. Thanks to Bush II's tax cuts, the income gap is growing to as big as it's been since, well, the Reagan era. People are dressing to be part of the upper class again.

3. A backlash to the hip-hop thug looks, epitomized by Kanye West's sweater vests.

4. Any other ideas???

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Chuck: Preppy's been back for a few years now! I think it's due to having a Republican in the White House for more than 4 years.

12:43 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I'm going to go around calling kids preppy, like A.C. Slater did to Zack Morris.

I may put curl activator in my hair to get the full effect.

8:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The grunge look will be back with a vengeance in 2010 - C.D. - you'd better start stocking up on your flannel and ripped jeans. You'll be the hippest teacher in the school if you start wearing it now...

12:56 pm  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

I want MC Hammer pants to come back into style.

2:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if grunge will ever be retroed... Do all moments of music come back? Like, will gangsster rap come back in retro form??? Maybe 2010 will be the yesr of Puttin' On The Ritz. It has to come back some day...

8:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home