Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Beer Versus Bacon




The eternal dilemma, which one to choose?




Well, for the last 4 months, I haven't had to. Wife got me Bacon of the Month Club for my birthday (September) and Beer of the Month Club for Xmas. And so you might be wondering, which one is better?

Without a doubt, I have preferred the Beer of the Month Club. As much as I've appreciated getting bacon sent to me in the mail, the bacon itself hasn't been that special. I mean, all bacon is good, so there really is no reason to be getting it from different farms. And when they've gone for the exotic types(like sugar bacon or pork jowls), it's been kind of gross.

But the Beer of the Month Club... It's like having 12 pieces of heaven arrive every month. I love it, and have become a complete dork about it. You get 4 types of beer (3 a piece) and I organize them into neat rows in my refrigerator so I know exactly how much of each one I have left. I even started a spread sheet yesterday so I could keep track of the good ones. Here are some things I've discovered...

1. I seem to be going through a Pale Ale period in my life. I used to be all about Porters, but lately, I've been really enjoying all beers on the Pale to India Pale Ale spectrum.

2. I'm not that into foreign beers. Other than the Polish Okocim, the foreign beers have been my least favorite (I've gotten a Marzen, 2 Dopplebocks, and a triple nightcap) thus far. It appears that my favorite beers are American Micro brew versions of foreign beers.
3. Three that have stood out: (A) Snake Chaser, an Irish Style stout from Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, (B) The Bitter End Pale Ale from 2 Brothers Brewing company located outside Chicago in Warrenville, and (C) Extra Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Company in San Diego (and I've seen it recently at New Season in Portland).
4. Beer is good.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger 5 of 9er said...

I've never heard of bacon of the month... I need to try this out. Beer of the month is always a good thing - but meat by mail is very very good.

10:25 am  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

You are a lucky man to have a wife setting you up with a new form of bacon every month.

4:12 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

And also in the bacon club's defense, they really have a sense of humor about it. Beside the meat, I've receieved a bumper sticker and a shirt where a strip of bacon appears to be coming out of the front pocket pocket.

10:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home