Wednesday, March 21, 2007

New Seven Wonders Contest

This might be the type of thing that only a Middle School Social Studies teacher could get into, but if you haven't heard, there is a new contest to pick the new Seven Wonders. It seems, only 6 of the original 7 have not been destroyed by earthquakes or fire (and good riddance, who gives a shit about the Temple of Artemis anyway?), and so we're going to get all democratic and vote in 7 new ones.



Here are a few things I'm keeping in mind when making my selections


1. It should be old


2. It should have major wow value


3. It should be unique


4. If you can be seen from space, you are automatically in


5. Being a symbol of a country is not enough to get in


6. Being mysterious helps, but is not enough to get in




There are 21 to pick from, and here is my opinion of the 8 I've been to.


1.Machu Picchu: Definitely in. Ruins plus mountains plus mysterious origins = first ballot wonder


2.Colosseum: I could see arguments against this, but I was just obsessed with it. I think it helps that an entire modern city is occurring around it.


3.Alahambra: On the fence, but leaning to it. It was ten years ago, but I remember incredible tiles and there just being a lot of it.


Chichen Itza: On the fence, leaning away. I saw it on a family trip, and I think seeing sites with my family may have made me more passive in taking it in, but I don't remember being wowed. But the picture looks pretty damn cool. Sister, what did you think?


Eiffel Tower: Nope.


Acropolis: Nope. Great location, but didn't stand out to me from the 5 billion other ruins there (was that a travel snob statement?) I'd take Knossos over the Acropolis


Stonehenge: No. Only a mystery. Really not that great.


Statue of Liberty: No way. Please don't let this make it.




Ones I would add


4. Great Wall of China


5. Easter Island: more than just a mystery. Those things just look crazy amazing.


6. Pyramids of Giza: Grandfathered in


7. Petra: Pictures of it look extremely cool.

6 Comments:

Blogger 5 of 9er said...

My vote is the Taco Bell & KFC in West Memphis, AK... it's an all you can eat buffet! No that is a wonder... wonder how you can leave the place with out dying.

8:09 am  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

My Middle-Age Spread, although it loses points for "unique" and "mysterious," has great "wow factor" and is visible from space. And, it's not a national symbol!

10:56 am  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

You definitely get around Chuckdaddy!

I'd put the Cu Chi tunnels on the list, even though they are underground and starting to get pretty tourist-y. Hmm, maybe I am on the fence about the tunnels. They were cool beans, but definitely not as cool as the Easter Island heads! If you make a post about natural wonders of the world, I have much stronger opinions about that.

10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taco Bell, Middle Age Spread (???), and Cu Chi tunnels (well those do sound interesting). Thanks guys!

And speaking of 7 wonders, I'm off to a place where I definitely won't be seeing any finalists (wait, is Senor Frog's on it? Anna Banana's?). But I will be much relaxed- Puerta Vallerta. have a great week everyone. Hope your weather sucks!!!

12:29 am  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

10 bucks the Statue of Liberty makes it, which would be pathetic

11:20 am  
Blogger Bijoy said...

Hello, i just surfed in searching for interesting blogs on new seven wonders of the world, you have a cool blog. Do keep up the good work. i live far from where you are and its nice to be able to see what people from across the world thinks.

Warm Regards from the Other Side of the Moon.

On a related note perhaps you might find the following links interesting. we're reviewing the best among the competing 21 participants for the new 7 wonders competition. i'll like to hear your take on the subject via comments. i'll be back soon...

The Kremlin and the Red Square
Angkor Wat
Eiffel Tower
Hagia Sophia

ps. if you have your own favourites list or if you'd like us to write about other wonders pls do mention about it in the comments.

Bibby

Kerala, India

9:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home