Saturday, April 07, 2007

Stupidest Chorus Ever

Alright, I recently heard the song, "This is Why I'm Hot", and am considering that it just might contain The Stupidest Chorus Ever. It begins with:

This is why I'm hot, this is why I'm hot, this is why this is why this is why I'm hot.


So far pretty dumb, but forgivable. I mean, lots of songs have choruses that just repeat phrases. But it gets way worse when he starts explaining


I'm hot cuz I'm fly


Aren't these both synonyms. Like this would be the equivalent of telling someone, "I'm beautiful b/c I'm pretty." So already, I'm thinking this chorus is pretty dumb, but the kicker is the next line when he explains why you're not as hot as he.


You Ain't Cuz You Not


You ain't cuz you not? Are you kidding me??? He couldn't come up with anything better? These are the insults a 3-year old wields. "You're stupid cuz you're dumb. I like you, NOT." I guess in the verse he gives some more specific details about why he's hot, but I just can't get over, "You ain't cuz you not." That is epically stupid, right?


But perhaps I'm just being harsh on kids today. Can anyone come up with a stupider chorus? For some reason the only dumb chorus I can think of is "Louie Louie", which is certainly inane, but doesn't hold a candle to "You ain't cuz you not." Anyone else have any ideas?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petrovich here. Yes it's stupid, but all of my kids love it. I can't think of a worse one, but I'm sure it exists. Toby Keith does have a song with a chorus that goes something like: "What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico."

11:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I've not heard the song myself (thirtysomething father and self-professed uncool person here), it's important to remember that many our age loved 80s songs with equally stupid lyrics growing up. For instance:

"C'est la vie (c'est la vie). That's just the way it goes."

"Informer! Detective man said he saw me daddy Snow stab someone down the lane..." (sorry Snow, it's true)

"Isn't it ironic. Don't you think?" (no, actually it's not)

Kids like stupid songs. Or, actually, kids like songs that adults think are stupid. Only difference is this nitwit lacks nuance.

9:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reminded of Ratt's mid-80s "Round and Round," of which the chorus is:

"Round and round
What comes around goes around
I'll tell you why"

...which wouldn't seem more than ordinarily vacuous, except that he doesn't. Tell us why, that is. The "I'll tell you why" is the most prominent line of the (lame) song, and uttered with a great deal of heavy metal vim. But no explanation ensues. Very disappointing.

Personally, I feel that The Kids Today have music that is ENORMOUSLY better than the shit my own age group listened to, so I turn to another period piece for my least favorite chorus of all time: that of "The Next Time I Fall in Love," a duet by (shudder) Peter Cetera and Amy Grant.

"The next time I fall in love
I'll know better what to do
The next time I fall in love
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
The next time I fall in love
The next time I fall in love
It will be with you."

Appalling.

5:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who sings that song? I didn't think there could be anything worse than "Dontcha"

Even I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred was more complex than this song.

7:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't give the impression in anyway that I truly thought music was stupider today than it was in the past. I think pop music (actually, probably all music) has a long history of lame lyrics.

Perhaps I should change it too worst insult ever. Which, I think, "You Ain't Cuz You Not", definitely wins hands down.

8:41 pm  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

You are forgetting about the dumbass king kong song, and I quote:

[Chorus:]
King Kong, king, king, king, king kong, king
King Kong, king, king, king, king Kong
If you hear before you see me [3x]
I got king kong in the trunk
King kong, king, king, king, king Kong, King
King Kong, King, King, King, King Kong
If you hear before you see me
I got King, I got King Kong"

Seriously?

8:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, I hereby publicly and proudly admit to the Chuckdaddy Xpress community that I am quite fond of "The Thong Song" -- but it could be argued that it, too, has a stupid chorus:

"She had dumps like a truck, truck, truck
Thighs like what, what, what
Baby move your butt, butt, butt
I think i'll sing it again

She had dumps like a truck, truck, truck
Thighs like what, what, what
All night long
Let me see that thong"

8:58 pm  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

The worst lyrics ever are for the Ghostbuster songs from the first movie. "I ain't 'fraid of no ghost."

8:59 am  
Blogger I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Damn, Michael 5000 took my song for worst chorus ever but I have to say I've always thought that "Just say the word Ohhhhhh... Su-su-sudio" by Phil Collins was also quite possibly the dumbest chorus ever.

3:40 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

So many great ones, but Su-su-sudio might take the cake IMO. Particularly b/c it doesn't appear to be a stypid chorus, but what is he singing about it?

10:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home