Saturday, April 14, 2007

Modern Day Crack

Now, even though the crack epidemic of the 80's has waned, that doesn't mean that one does not need to be careful to avoid other all-consuming highly addicitive modern-day temptations. Here are three I personally have abstained from.




1. Blackberries
What I think is the worst aspect of a Blackberry, is that people can seem like they are still participating in regular life, but the worst addicts still find a way to check it every few minutes. Are they really even listening to you during the checking intervals? Additonally, the ability to check the internet at all times is a power greater than most mortals can handle.

2. 24
The word on the street is that this show is not nearly as good as it is addictive. The definition of crack! Knowing my propensity to get hooked on television series', I will keep myself away from Jack Bauer saving the world, 1 hour at a time.

3. Vitamins
Not only does their methods of classification annoy me (Why are some named after letters and others called riboflavin or thiamine? Why not Vitamin R or T?), but I really don't think vitamins work. Have you noticed that compulsive vitamin takers always look less healthy than your average Joe? Seriously, it's for the same reason that germophobes are sick so often- any possible positive sides are overcome by the damage done by thinking and stressing about them. But still, people take them day after day buying bottle after bottle. And once you start, it's a life-long habit. My riboflavin levels are perfectely fine already, thank you very much.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I should be offended by the Blackberry comment--?

I will take your comment seriously once you've worked in an email intensive corporate environment!

:-)

2:59 pm  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

stumbleupon.com

3:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess your exceptional vitamin-free health can be attributed to your bacon of the month club subscription. those of us who are not convinced that we are getting all 11 servings of fruit and vegetables a day sometimes feel like a supplement is in order. having said that I have read that vitamins are often not even absorbed and that FOOD is the best source of vitamins not pills.

6:49 pm  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

Yeah! I have managed to avoid all three modern day addictions as well! I owe it all to my good friends, nicotine, alcohol, and Netflix.

8:03 am  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Yeah, I'm basically "crack" free too. Why start watching 24 now, right? He's already saved the world 5 times, so what's so cool about the 6th time? I'd just assume watch Kiefer in The Cowboy Way.

10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EMHO- although I thought of you when I made the Blackberry comment, you weren't the intended Blackberry Zombie. It seems that so far you have resisted the urge to fully fall cursed to the Crackberry.

Big Sis- Touche. I probably should consider vitamins considering my lack of affinity for fruit.

7:56 pm  
Blogger I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Heh. I am constantly making fun of my dad for taking vitamins and I swear that the two times in my life I have started trying to take them I got sick almost immediately. Who needs them when you drink straight vodka?

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home