Thursday, May 03, 2007

Best TV Show Ever

For years, this really hasn't been a question in my mind. The Sopranos really had no competition. The show had an interesting premise, great characters, and addictively complicated story lines. Add to that mix snappy dialogue with cursing, sex, and violence and you had the most watchable TV show ever. The show was so good in fact, that, like Pulp Fiction with 90's movies, it redefined television. You can see the obvious influences in other HBO shows, but I would argue without The Sopranos you wouldn't have the amoral Desperate Housewives or the character-driven complex Lost.

But after a mediocre Season 6a and the slow start to Season 6b (although Hipster and others disagree w/ me), I think it might be time to drop The Sopranos down a notch. My nomination is The Wire. It might not hit the artistic homeruns like The Sopranos, but it's way more consistently good. I particularly like that The Wire seems to lack the aforementioned's ego, putting all its focus on being a good show and not on being cute or self-referential (Chris's gangster horror movie? Come on...)


But what do others think? Any Alf or Mr. Belvedere fans? Or was Benson and the Golden Girlz your cup of tea. Please oh please just don't say Seinfeld.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Velcroed said...

Not only is it the best television programme to have ever existed (in my oh-so-humble opinion), it is also the greatest story TO EVER HAVE BEEN PUT TO FILM. "It" is, of course, 'Lost.'

9:24 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Mr. Belvidiere! Remember the song? "When you drop-kick the china, as you walk through the door . . ."

Can I cast a vote for Small Wonder for the shittiest show of all time?

9:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the Small Wonder anti-vote completely

9:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sopranos has been on a steady decline since about, oh, season 2 or something. It was downright boring last season. The Wire, OTOH, has been consistently good to great.
Lost is a up there in terms of sheer entertainment - I don't understand why it's 'lost' so many fans this season.
Judd Apatow's 2 one-season shows were great, but I think that Freaks & Geeks should have been given at LEAST one more season.

Shows that have their fans thta I don't get; Heroes... Arrested Development.... Entourage....

Show that needs to be revived: land of the lost...

9:55 pm  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

I tried watching the first season of the Sopranos once, but gave up halfway through when I couldn't shake the similarities with the movie "Analyze This" and the vaguely constipated dramatic tone.

I have watched quite a bit of "Lost," albeit in a highly non-linear fashion, in an attempt to ingratiate my nieces. It strikes me as having been written and acted by an unusually talented high school drama class. This assessment has proved unpopular among my coworkers.

If I'm stuck in a motel room, I like to watch "CSI." Oh, uh, and "Seinfeld." So obviously, I'm a man of fucking exquisite taste.

10:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, MichaelMMMMM, I had no idea you had so many ideas about TV. I thought your favorite show was Halo or Super Mario IX.

But I have to say, I do appreciate Lost. Although I can see what you mean w/ the HS Drama show quip, I think it's good. If nothing else, it does a great job of killing off lame characters. And if the Sopranos listened to that advice AJ would've not lived past Season 3. Which would be a good thing...

12:20 am  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

I second Freaks & Geeks! I loved that show! Now all I watch is South Park and the Colbert Report. Do those even count?

6:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home