Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fashion Issue: Suit and Sandals

So I was at a wedding last weekend, very low key, but people were still dressed up. And one guy is wearing nice pants, a matching suit, a subtle tie, and then sandals. And this really bothered me. Here are the arguments in his favor.

1. It was a self described Bohemian wedding, which was in a backyard.

2. This was in Portland, renowned for being informal.

3. Okay, the strongest reason. It was at his house and as my wife, who didn't even notice him, said, "Then he can do whatever the fuck he wants."


But even with all those taken into account, it still bothered me. For me, I could care less if he wasn't formal enough. Actually, one of my favorite Portland wedding outfits are the ones thrown together by people who obviously never dress up (Jeans and a suit or certain parts are way too small). But this guy was going for something different. I saw it as more of an immature sticking it to the man- a kind of even-when-I'm-dressed-up-I'm-so-mellow look. Or even worse, a you-can't-box-me-into-your-capitalist-outfits-dude front.


Truly, if he'd worn something extremely eccentric or been totally under dressed, I wouldn't have cared. To each their own. But he was being purposeful. And I know if I asked him about it he would've said something like, "I just find shoes so uncomfortable." Then why are you wearing a tie dumb ass?


But what do you guys think. Am I going too far? We know suits and sandals are a fashion no no, but is it fashion heresy as well?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I have real issues when it comes to wedding attire. And I think sandals with a suit at a wedding is just another sign of the apocalypse.

Call me old fashioned, but I think formal attire at a wedding is the only way to go. Anything else is just disrespectful.

10:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he had an ingrown toenail and is medically required to wear open toed shoes?

12:27 pm  
Blogger Jenny! said...

I am def. not into fashion so I am the last person to comment, but that is just tacky! The only place sandals are appropriate at a wedding is at a beach wedding! What a weirdo!

9:18 am  
Blogger ReckenRoll said...

Flip Flops over Sandals. At least COMMIT to the lazy shoe. Wearing the sandal is half assing the half assed attempt.

I share your internalized outrage.

7:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home