Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Download 2 Songs or Buy the Album?

Over the last month I've bought 3 albums, and with each one I wondered if buying the whole album was necessary. What do the Xpress riders think?

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black
Should I have just downloaded 2 songs? Probably
I think I'm about 7 months late on this album, but, nevertheless, I do think the first 2 songs on her CD are great. A song about going to rehab? Hilarious. But I start to get tired of it after that. It starts to feel less like a new take on 60's soul and just to be retread 60's soul. And it also sort of bothers me that she's white. It's stupid, but I think if she black it would seem more like she was going back to her roots. Somehow her being British makes it a little better.

The White Stripes' Icky Thump
Should I have just downloaded 2 songs? Definitely
Although I'm not sure which 2 songs. I've always felt very strongly about the White Stripes. The songs I like of theirs I love, but I've never felt like 1 album works all the way through. There always ends up being a few derivative overly heavy guitar tunes that force me to skip ahead. Get Behind Me Satan was my favorite, so I had high hopes for their new one. In the end though, I think this might be one of their weakest albums. The songs feel randomly put together, and even the main hit, Icky Thump is starting to get on my nerves. I wouldn't say I regret downloading the whole CD, but I probably would've been better off picking and choosing just a couple.

Peter, Bjorn, and John's Writer's Block


Should I have just downloaded 2 songs? Probably not
Granted, my 2 favorite songs on this CD are Young Folks and Amsterdam, but I think it's good enough throughout to warrant owning the whole shebang. I have to admit, at times they can be a little bit too Indie Rock whiny for me, but usually I have it on in the background and am just enjoying it.

Oh, and I just bought a CD which I definitely like the whole thing: Feist's The Reminder. Very good.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Feist!Definitely my favorite album of the year.

I thought The Reminder was a lot stronger and consistent than Let it Die, her previous album.

I'm so sick of the White Stripes...The only song I've heard off the new album is so grating.

12:17 pm  
Blogger Jenny! said...

I wouldn't know, I do neither! I think that White Stripes are terribley grating as well!

12:35 pm  
Blogger Scary Monster said...

You actually still purchase music? After all the money the Napster spent on litigation, WOW!

stomp.

4:44 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Scary Monster- yeah, I don't know what's up w/ that. I didn't pay w/ the first napster, but I just have never gotten into the flow w/ the new ways to steal music. I would like to say it's a moral thing, but instead it's more a habit that I don't break since I only buy about an album a month

EMHO- I think Reminder's my favorite album of the year too. Really solid songs that are very different. Hey sister- if you're reading this, I think you'd really like her as well.

9:42 am  
Blogger blythe said...

feist is a necessity. good call.

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to go see Feist but apparently the gays found out about her and the show sould out super fast- when the gays find out about something in Atlanta they flash mob and OWN IT!

I've been listening to classical hindustanic music lately - makes up for how TERRIBLE the new Interpol record is that, yes Chuckie, I stole before it was even released.

8:21 am  
Blogger ReckenRoll said...

Winehouse's album is great. I bought the whole thing on iTunes but you definitely need to be in the mood for it. It's not a listen to anytime kind of album. It's a setting the mood (or feeding a mood) type of album.

7:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home