Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Movies and a TV Show Review

The Good Shepherd: B
I found this behind-the-CIA movie pretty good. The main downside for me was that it was so secretive I never really knew what was going on (I haven't been this confused since Syriana), but that didn't totally bother me. I still found it interesting.

Knocked Up: B+

The newest movie from the 40-Year Old Virgin director, this time focusing on a slacker who impregnates a girl way out of his league. Wife and I seemed to be the only two people who didn't find Virgin funny, so we had our reservations, but we both liked it. I do feel it's been overhyped, but still enjoyed it and definitely laughed out loud multiple times.


Sopranos Season 6+: B

******Spoiler Alert***********

I was really critical of this season at the beginning, but I thought it did come around- particularly the 2nd-to-last episode, which ranks as one of the best ever in my book. My hatred of AJ, and the show's bizarre decision to focus on him instead of killing him, still irked me, but he alone could not ruin the season. But about the finale's finale... I overall agree w/ the sentiment that any ending that makes you think your cable box broke, is, generally speaking, a bad idea. Still, I have appreciated the ensuing open-endedness. My favorite theory is that, in the last moment, we were watching Meadow enter from Tony's eyes, and everything went to black suddenly b/c he'd been shot (As he'd foreshadowed in his talk w/ Bobby in the premiere). I think if this is not the case, and Chase was just showing us that life went on, it would be a really bad choice to end it so drastically.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't interpret the going black in the same way you did. I originally thought that the scene just ended. Perhaps I got caught up in the "Don't Stop Believing" lyrics too much. And just the overall scene of Tony and his family enjoying life again. I had heard earlier that day that David Chase was working on a movie version, so that may have also colored my judgement.

This seasonette had some good moments but overall I give it a thumbs down. My dad has just started watching the first season and LOVES it. I miss those days.

7:54 am  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Syriana confused me too.

11:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I don't think that Chase was being crass by setting up a movie, I do think he was giving a big f-u to those who felt that it HAD to end in some type of huge and dramatic way.
I thought that the whole season was so poor and wasn't living up to what it had once been that it wouldn't have suprised me if they all wound up at Satriele's eating a big dinner for 50 minutes.
I really hope there's not a movie - and I'm glad that they're not dragging out the story any longer than they had to.
Did you watch John From Cincinatti? I think they have another stinker on their hands. Hopefully Flight of the Conchords will live up to the trailer...

8:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miguelito-

Just watched John of 'Nati, and was underwhelmed as well. But I did watch the Flight of the Concords concert on On-Demand and thought it was really funny. I have high hopes for the show.

9:30 pm  
Blogger 5 of 9er said...

That's a lot of B's. It's hard to please you... ins't. But at least you are not one of those people who sees a movie and says "That is the greatest movie ever!" after every single movie they see.

8:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

5/9 I'm not sure we've met, but sounds like we've been at the same movie before. I make a point of always saying, "that was the best movie I've ever seen" especially if the movie was, in fact, among the worst. Because I want at least one person to say they attended a bad movie where some guy said it was the best ever.

Mission accomplished.

9:25 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I initially hated the final Sopranos episode, but thinking about it later, I really like it.

7:38 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Oh yeah, and I too was all for A.J. getting fitted for cement shoes.

7:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home