Monday, July 10, 2006

Haters

Just watched my first episode of The Wire and I thinks me and the wife are hooked (the only thing my wife likes better than a cop drama is someone walking into a wall. One day someone will produce a hybrid of Law and Order and The Three Stooges and she finally have reached her personal nirvana). And, maybe we were just getting too caught up in the action of it all, but we found ourselves both thinking, "Damn, cops have a hard job."

We continued this thought to, "People who criticize cops are really lame." And then this led to in my head, "Do people really still hate cops?" I remember when a PDX officer was shot, his funeral was attended by like half the town. Post-anti-authority-HS, do people still begrduge the man?

I'm leaning towards no. And, I feel like it's a similar debate to people disrespecting teachers. I always heard that people looked down on teachers, but since being one, all I've felt from people is genuine appreciation. I think people really do like cops and teachers, and we just get so mad at the few who don't that we exaggerate their numbers. Perhaps I'm just being naive and when I leave the room people rip on my salary potential and tell dead cop jokes, but I don't think so. What do others think?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HATE ALL COPS

11:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, ChuckDaddy! Not for your love of bacon, but for taking the time to watch The Wire. Certainly the best cop drama on TV, and personally I'd rate it the best show overall - great like the Sopranos with slowly-unfolding storylines, ambiguous/complex characters, faith in viewers' intelligence. But better than the Sopranos with more realistic storylines and issues. Read once that David Simon and Edward Burns got flack from the Baltimore PD for revealing too much about how actual investigation works there (Burns was a detective in Baltimore for 20 years before the show, and Simon was crime reporter for the Sun).

Tell everyone you know to watch when the fourth season starts this year. HBO's been threatening canceling for lack of ratings, so lots of people need to watch this time around.

11:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, we've been telling you to watch The Wire for like a year or so...will you now begin to listen to Mike and I? We stand by our recommendations. I hate cop shows, but The Wire transcends.

I think people hate "abuse of authority" and that's very closely associated with cops, military and sometimes teachers.

11:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited that you guys are finally watching the Wire....!!!! It's certainly about time. It's no Rockstar: Supernova, but then again what is?

Cops are people - some are nice and some are dicks, just like other regular folks....

9:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck The Police!!!

9:59 pm  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

Cops are all right...

11:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home