Monday, July 03, 2006

3 Reasons Why The 4th Of July Is No Big Deal


1. We didn't get independence then, we "declared" it. Big friggin deal. Why are we celebrating when we declared? How about when we won (which wasn't official until 7 years later)? Wouldn't that make a bit more sense?

2. It was the second when we declared independence. As John Adams wrote, "The Second Day of July 1776 will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. . . . It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

3. Fireworks are annoying. You feel lame if you don't go to them, but they really aren't worth the crowds to go. The fourth was only a great holiday when you were into blowing up your own.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it weren't for the day off, I would hate the Fourth of July.

Fireworks are "pretty obnoxious" in my opinion. Yeah they are pretty (the Japanese call them electric flowers or flowers of the sky, can't remember which), but they leave a lot of pollution and there's nothing more obnoxious than hearing them at 2am, esp when you have to work in the morning.

Another thing to hate about fireworks is how stupid people use them. A large percentage of July fires are contributed to fires, even forest fires which we all end up paying a hell of a lot of taxes for.

I have to ask myself is it worth it?

My answer is NO. I'd ban fireworks or at least limit them to snakes and sparklers. No more whistling Petes (my bro's fav which actually did cause a small fire when I was growing up).

12:02 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Should have taken my own advice. Watched the fireworks from Tabor last night. Lame and far away.

I'm with grandma EMHO next year. No fireworks.

9:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

32 going on 62...

2:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home