Monday, June 19, 2006

New Releases on Video


1. Match Point: A
Great great movie. It would definitely make my top 5 for movies released last year (along with Capote, Brokeback, Good Night and Good Luck, and Debbie Does Dallas VI). I loved that it managed to have believable dialogue, but still move the plot along. A lot of people have said they were surprised it was done by Woody Allen, probably because there was very little self-analysis and no homely 50 year-olds dating young women. But it reminded me a lot of my favorite of his movies- Crimes and Misdemeanors. Might even be a perfect movie, other than that horrible ping pong scene. Oh, one question. Is Scarlet Johansen a good actress? I'm mixed.


2. Murderball: A
Awesome documentary about wheelchair rugby. Very interesting characters and great sports scenes. It had that Hoop Dreams effect where, because it's real, you really don't know if they're going to win. You aren't meant to feel bad for the characters, but you do anyway (I think my wife cried for half of the movie, which isn't saying much actually).

3. Syrianna: B-

I don't know. For the first half of the movie I was there. I loved the way it was filmed, the multiple stories had me confused yet intrigued, and the politics made it seem important. But when they tried to bring the plots together it just didn't work for me. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention or should have taken a Middle East Politics course beforehand. Maybe it was just me. Or maybe this movie made absolutely no sense. I do have to admit that I saw it at the Laurelhurst and it was about the midway point when the beer buzz reformed as beer-hazed tiredness, but it just doesn't seem like a good sign when a movie makes less sense the longer you watch it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike and I just watched Match Point a few nights ago. I thought it was really good. I can't say I LOVED the twist at the end, but did appreciate how Woody brought it full circle thematically.

Is it just me or is Scarlett J really pretensious, annoying and not as great of an actor as everyone says? I cringed every time she opened her mouth in this movie. Very predictable and boring perf if you ask me. Thank god she's got a nice rack. Matthew Goode was fantastic on the other hand.

Glad you FINALLY saw Murderball. Perhaps you will listen to our recommendations more closely from now on? :-)

8:20 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

EMHO: I think I'm with with you on Scarlet. In her first scene in Matchpoint, my first thought was, oh my god, she's playing the languid tired character again. As the movie continued I stopped noticing it, so perhaps she's just mastered the languid tired role. Nolte does great mad, Nicholson does killer cool... Maybe she's just perfected her particular schtick. Either way, I'd like to see her try to be a little different in a future movie.

Mitzi: I got there by clicking on the NEXT BLOG button in the upper-right corner of the blogspot screens. I believe it goes to whomever most recently updated their blog.

8:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously Chuck, when you are as hot as Scarlett do you really need to know how to act? She has brought back the "real woman's" body to hollywood and I am extremely greatful.

11:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckdaddy,

I too am glad you saw Murderball.

Why don't you ever blog and review those obscure docs you're getting through that weird subscription you have? And when are you joining Netflix so that I can see your "true" ratings?

MITZI,
YOU ARE A FREAK!!!! The only person I have ever known named Mitzi was no person at all, but my Grandma's yippy little dog. Girlfriend, stop giving out that wack advice, you're seriously demented...

9:10 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Whoa there Miguelito. Don't forget, everyone's welcome to take a ride on the Chuckdaddy Xpress. Even your grandma's yippy little dog is invited.

And was her advice really so whack? I thought it was pretty good.

9:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miguelito- Didn't your mother ever tell you how to treat a southern girl? You should be ashamed.

And a bit of advice, that isn't so whack, I'd watch my step if I were you if you ever come through Montana. Just thought I'd let you know!

8:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home