Sunday, June 04, 2006

Best Restaurant in Portland?


What do people think? When my parents were in town I went to two pricey restaurants., Roux and Paley's Place. Roux is a kind of rambunctious New Orlean's style restaurant. The food was tasty and interesting, but not worth the price. I'm a sucker for the exotic and got the rabbit, which was pretty good, but really small. I know that's a very uncullinary way to rate a place, but I truly felt anxiety when it was placed in front of me, because I knew I would be starved afterwards. Fortunately, my mom's gumbo was huge so I ate half of hers.

Paley's Place, on the other hand, was expensive and incredible. Lady Lumps and I both declared that it might be the best restaurant in Portland. Now I still haven't been to Genoa or Higgins, but I'm not sure I need to. I think Paley's Place might be it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CDX,

I hate "good restaurants." Give me a dive every time.

My hands-down favorite amongst the many Portland dives I haunt is India Grill.

But -- and this is an important point -- not the lunch buffet.

9:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about Roux. I really wanted it to be great, but I also left hungry and poorer. And the food was good but not worth the price tag.

Paley's--definitely top shelf. I've only been there twice but remember every morsel of the meal.

I've heard that Park Kitchen is a rival for best restuarant in PDX. I haven't been there yet. Wildwood is also a Portland standard.

7:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With you on Roux. Paley's Place is excellent.

We were really disappointed with our last meal at Higgins. The service was wonderful, the wine fabulous but the food really mediocre. And it was way too expensive.

I've always had great meals at Lucy's Table, but others I know have reported so-so experiences.

I've heard Blue Hour is "amazing" but I'd never go myself. Always too many wannabe upper classholes sitting outside.

Wildwood - eh.

Love Il Piatto for Italian, and it's run like a trattoria (familial, friendly, fun).

9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Esparza's kicks ass for Tex-Mex. You can get Buffalo and Osterich. Not to mention the best migas ever.

9:17 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

In the end I think I'm with you Michael. It's not that I dislike good restaurants, it's just that I don't think I fully appreciate them, and I can eat out more often (a constant goal of mine) the cheaper the places are.

Wife and I miss Fusion, not cheap, but moderate and you could do the whole shebang (desert). It didn't hurt that we could walk there.

9:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home