Monday, May 01, 2006

HBO Shows

HBO has really hit on a particular combo: intricate plots, a bunch of amoral characters, graphic sex and/or violence and viola! A highly addictive show is born. Here are my rankings of the ones I've watched.

1. Sopranos
Even though this season has been a step down, this show has had an amazing run. Incredible acting (except for AJ and Artie), great plot twists, great charcters... I will venture to say that this is the best TV show ever (and shut-up about Seinfeld, it's not even close). A+

2. 6 Feet Under

In some ways I like 6 Feet better. As someone who loves to analyze, I appreciates the focus on less characters and began to feel a bit like a part of the Fisher Famliy (although thank god I'm not). But it just didn't have the consistency to rival The Sopranos. After the first two years it fell a little, and even though by that point I was already hooked, I just can't say with a clear conscience that it is a better show than the Sopranos. A

3. Sex and the City
Great show. I always seem to remember it as slight and surfacy, but whenever I watch it again I am always impressed by the tightness of the plots, the variety of the themes, and the humor. A

4. Rome
I think wife and I are the only 2 people who like this show. I kind of wonder who the audience is meant to be. If they're trying to get the nerds, you would think they'd cut some of the gratuitous sex and make it more historically accurate. But would non-nerds really be into Roman history? Anyway, this nerd and wife love it, even if it isn't in the same league as the above 3. B+

5. Deadwood
Wife loves it, but I cannot get into it. I think part of it is that I am so desensitized to violence in general that the show never really shocks me. So instead I'm just watching miserable dirty people walk between their rooms and the saloon. Didn't people ever crack a joke back then? Lighten up people! Extra Sopranos points for its willingness to kill off main characters. C

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daddy,
You and I must agree about Big Love, as you've left it off your list. That show has really taken the shine off of the 'BO lineup. They're running out of steam faster than Bush's new cabinet.

However, we are at odds on the Deadwood issue. Chucky - have you even watched the ENTIRE first season? Methinks not, as you were a bit too harsh on the grading scale there. Deadwood ranks at least a B+ if not an A on the CDaddy scale. The acting, writing, and cinematography are top notch. Don't worry about being wrong C'D.... the first time I saw just a snippet of the Chappelle Show I didn't give it the due it deserved, but then I realized the errors of my ways....

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are a more consistent grader as a teacher? :-)

How can you give The Sopranos an "A+" wouldn't that imply perfection--no need to change a thing? I think the plot lines are getting pretty thin this season.

I am/was a fan of 6 Feet Under, but would give it a strong B+ the season before last was pretty awful. They seemed to be trying every cheap trick in the point to create drama with not a lot of thought to character development.

I'd give season one of Deadwood a B+/A-.

You need to watch The Wire.

8:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, the Sopranos has not been perfect, but a TV show should be allowed some room for error. What, they've had like 72 hours of shows at this point? Even Different Strokes had its weak days. A movie is held to higher standards with only 90 minutes to avoid all mistakes.

As the best TV show ever though I hold an A+ is a suitable grade, but maybe you're just a tougher grader than me.

8:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have recently gotten into Entourage. It really surprised me. The character and scripts are great. I alway enjoy another reason to despise LA.

1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home