Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Searching For Some Soul

My wife and some friends are on the search for the best soul food in Portland. Thus far we've been to the Delta (many times), Clay's Smokehouse Grill (twice), and Yam Yam's (this weekend).

I really wanted Yam Yam's to be the best. It had a great broken down authentic feel to it. I would have felt very cool after if I could have recommended it or taken out-of-towners there. But the food did not stand out. Not only was it mostly just a whole lot of meat, but it wasn't particularly tasty. The owner told us his was Alabama style- which, he said, meant that it wasn't too spicy or tangy. Um, okay... Is that really a type you want to show off about? Like me saying, "My spaghetti is Chicago style. Lots of sauce, but only a little flavor."

So far I've got to say my favorite is The Delta. Great Collards, tasty Catfish, good mashed potatoes (can't comment about other foods there because I've gotten this exact combo every time). Still, I have a hard time thinking that the white-boy Reedies who run Delta with its eccentric ironic vibe really could be making the best soul food in town. But who's better???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernie's Southern Bistro is excellent, though a hair on the pricey side (and soul food isn't supposed to be pricey). Love their deep fried pickles. In the end you're still in Portland, geographically and culturally opposite of where soul food comes from.

9:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the "some friends", I have to concur with the disappointment (why oh why can't I spell check?) with Yam Yam's. Had all the right elements, but in the end the food didn't live up. I went to Lauro last night and their short ribs YY's kicked ass. BF is from Hotlanta and we've had soul food there, the food in PDX really doesn't compare. However, CDX we are more than happy to continue the quest. What is next? Campbells?

5:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home