Wednesday, April 19, 2006

3 Movies I've Seen Recently

Paradise Now
Great movie about two Palestinians living in the West Bank and being picked to be suicide bombers. Well done and interesting.

Hustle and Flow
Took me a little to get into, but then I really liked it. A friend of mine was disturbed though and felt it was racist. I agreed more with my wife who felt if anything it was sexist. She pointed out that it wasn't as if they gave the impression that all blacks were pimps and hos (hos, ho's or hoes? How do you write it?). For example, they had the middle-class black woman who was uncomfortable being around the pimp house. I actually really liked how they handled race in the movie. They turned things on their head a bit by having his main ho and dj be white. And I liked how that was noted by the characters, but not the biggest deal in the world. Overall, I thought it was definitely a good movie.

Jarhead
Curious about other people's take on this movie. I enjoyed watching it, but am still unsure. Part of me felt like its point, going to war but not fighting, was made and then not much more happened. Additionally, I never totally bought the 2 stars as army guys. Jake was passable, because he can look kind
of crazy. But Peter Sarsgaard (who'd also been in Garden State) didn't fit the army-frat guy type at all. They both would work better as lost intellectuals than lost army guys. Still, another part of me felt like Mendes stuck to a simple thesis and pulled it off. Them having to go through all the army rituals for nothing, the desert images, the need for a kill... It's all kind of sticking with me. So, opinion is still pending.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckdaddy,

I too have seen all of these films. I gave Paradise a 5 star, and Hustle and Jarhead 4 stars each. I was a bit let down by Jarhead - it didn't resonate like other, stronger war movies (a la Apocolypse Now / Deer Hunter / Platoon / hell, even Three Kings). I think it was a combination of a weak script and over reaching by the director that kind of diluted what could have been a better movie.

OK - Hustle and Flow. Chuckdaddy - YOU, of all people, should know how hard it is out there for a piiimmmmp. Don't feel bad about liking a good movie. I remember when it came out how much David Walker (from the Willie Week) praised it, and if he didn't find any race issues, then there weren't any to be found (he won't hesitate to call out that shite).

Anyway, so what were your star ratings for these movies? (Maybe if you were on Netflix I'd already know - hint, hint)

8:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paradise Now was excellent. I appreaciated seeing another side of the story. If it weren't so politically charged I could HBO doing a series on secret lives of Terrorists ala Sopranos....

Great...now I have that damn song stuck in my head....Ya know it's hard out...

For your sanity, you should get on NetFlix IMMEDIATELY before MF give you the hard sell. Ask Kathy...

8:15 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

I think I might match up with you on these Miguelito. If I were to have Netflix and were to rate them...

Paradise Now - *****
Hustle and Flow - ****
Jarhead - ***

5:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckdaddy,
This is unrelated to this post, but I didn't know that a slightly younger and shorter version of you was in a band from Athens, GA:

http://www.murderbeach.com/pix/lineup.html

8:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home