Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Battle of The Nerds


Not getting a whole lot of comments... Maybe I should... Do a music blog! Alright, although topics for me to cover are fading fast, here is one. I was wondering which band people thought had the biggest nerds. Now, the judgement of what exactly constitutes a nerd is both fully up to the beholder, and a stereotype everyone has some sense of. I'm not judging them, oh no, since that would be inherently critical considering that I myself am a big fat nerd (the secret's out!). I'm just thinking, that for the most part Rock and Roll bands reek cool, while working to define it generation after generation... Except for a few of those nerds that somehow slip through the gates...

I'm going to nominate The Bare Naked Ladies, mostly for performing the nerdiest rap song ever, and They Might Be Giants, who are lovable nerds indeed. And my vote goes to those "Istanbul Was Once Constantinople" singing Giants.

They Might Be Giants: 2

Bare Naked Ladies:


Oingo Boingo:

Weezer:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote goes to They Might Be Giants for biggest nerd band.

So, so annoying. So, so nerdy.

I think Devo would get the coolest nerd band award.

What are some other nerd bands? Oingo Boingo? Crash Test Dummies? Do we have a modern day nerd band? How about Weezer? Isn't the lead singer going to Haavaad?

CDX, what are your jr high nerds listening to?

Wow I have a lot of questions in this comment..

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:03 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Sorry EMHO, had to delete your Sopranos comment because I have yet to see it.

I think in middle school the nerds aren't really listening to music yet. It's kind of like you have the popular/followers listening to Z100 and then a few "cool" kids (who almost always play guitar) listening to 94.7 and liking Hendrix, Nirvana, Metallica...

1:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Positive reinforcement is important to keep up the blogging, so here's a comment confirming a satisfied reader. Useless buttons blog still makes me smile when I'm having a bad day

3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Decemberists, baby!

9:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Nerd Bands:
-Boston: The guy in that band was a major geek

-Rush: Neal Pert, MAJOR NERD!!! (Oh, I need 4,232 drums on stage and I'll use them ALL!!!!!!) Loved by nerds.

-Black Flag: Yes, Greg Ginn was a major nerd who was an electronics genius type dude and still lives with his parents

-Any recent electronics dude who uses a laptop (e.g., Oval / Pole et. al.).... no justification required here

-Jim O'Rourke - guy is a total geek

-Slint and all math rock bands - you don't garner the name and start the genre of "math" rock without being a major nerd. The splinter genre of "Nerdcore" needs no explanation

-Smog - Let's face it, Callahan is a nerd and we luv him for it

-Stereo Total - Let's hear it for Euro-nerds! (and a female to boot!)

-This band I saw in '99 or so that opened up for the COVER version of Man or Astroman (a MAJOR nerd band) who played instruments of Mac keyboards, slung like guitars. They were boasting about touring next to the Apple Computer campus to play there as if they were going to the Promised Land. Bonus points for having a girl in the "band" who had nerd glasses.

-Anyone who's ever played a "key"-tar un-ironically

-Elvis Costello, Brian Wilson, Peter Frampton, Yngwie Malmsteen (and anyone who lives for the solo, although Eddie Van Halen - not so much)

-Me, for knowing this shit

9:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and now that I think about it, this is a pretty reasonable pretext to mention that selected Michael Handley songs are now available for download or live streaming on MySpace, at http://www.myspace.com/michaelhandleymusic.

8:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would add "Mostly Mike" to the list. 2 chemmies and 1 tech services doth a nerd band make.

1:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home