Sunday, May 14, 2006

Portland Tourist Attractions


The parents just left, and although it was a good visit, I am starting to feel like a pretty lame tour guide. Showing people around Portland had been one of my favorite past times, but now that I'm on my 14th year of living here and it being about my parent's 10th visit, I'm finding myself becoming a bit of a grumpy old Portlandite. I feel like I've either shown them it already or have no interest to. This got me thinking about things in Portland that I still want to do, and some things that I have no interest in ever doing.

5 Things I Want To Do
1. Go to the model stonehenge built by ("Where in the") Sam Hill
2. Drink at Mount Angel's Octoberfest
3. Watch a Winterhawks game
4. Go to the Alien and Vacuum Cleaner Museums
5. Bet on horses at that sleazy off-track betting place downtown

5 Things I Do Not Want To Do
1. Attend the Rose Parade
2. Go to the Cinco de Mayo festival
3. Spend time at the Chinese Gardens
4. See Peacock Lane's lights by horse
5. Ever participate in dragon boat races

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a vetern tour guide, what is your top 5 "must do" when visiting P-town? MF's bro, sis and neice are coming to town Memorial Day weekend. Are you guys going to be in town?

10:35 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Hmmm... Powell's of course. I also like taking people up Mount Tabor, there's a great view of Southeast that really shows just how green the city is. Taking a walk along the Eastside Promenade (is that its name?) is also nice.

My favorite thing to do is probably linking meals to neighborhoods. Portland really has some great neighborhoods for such a small non-diverse city. Hawthorne, Clinton, Alberta, 23rd, 82nd are all good.

None of this seems that exceptional of advice. Maybe someone else has some ideas???

10:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i'm so glad someone else doesn't to do the cinco de mayo. I'm also done with the insanity that is st. patty's day downtown.
Winterhawks games are fun, ok well at least they were in high school and drunk on college breaks. Something i loved that a date once took me on last year was renting kayaks down on Macadam and paddling around the Willamette - that was a new experience for a p-town veteran and I loved it.

For emho, hmm other p-town pleasures...multnomah or horsetail falls, downtown strolling- (the waterfront, the parkblocks, 23rd, hawthorne) and eating, Oregon zoo concert if someone is coming that you like, a day at the beach (pending traffic tolerance), the Bagdhad or other such McMenamins movie places. *shrug* need another coffee that's all i got this morning.

10:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, doods. Big ups on all your suggestions. I'm a really bad tour guide and usually wind up taking guests shopping and eating out a lot. One more q--baby friendly eating establishments? She's a well behaved baby (almost one). I the we could take her to most cafes and restuarants if we eat out earlier rather than later (which will probably be a necessity as I assume she'll need to be asleep by 8).

8:44 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Kid Friendly?

How about Laurelwood, isn't that made for parents and their kids? Or the zoo. Kids love the zoo. Oh, and there's always Chucky Cheese's.

10:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home