Thursday, July 12, 2007

Technical Difficulties

Wow, watch out for the Trojan virus. Yesterday, I managed to accidentally download it and the result was my computer constantly telling me to download spyware and telling me the Trojan virus was going to steal my passwords (And I thought Trojans were supposed to portect you from viruses). Getting it fixed probably took me 4 hours. And maybe you have 4 hours free to deal w/ computer issues, but I'll tell you, the Chuckdaddy has people to see and places to be (okay fine I don't).

What made the situation even weirder, was every technical person I talked to was in India, which I guess I had heard about, but I didn't realize literally everyone would be. And even though I consider myself a multicultural-loving-open-to-globalization kind of guy, it certainly made the process even more frustrating to be getting technical computer questions answered by a someone who speaks English as a second language. In the end, I did this crazy thing where I gave the guy remote control of my computer and I got to watch as he whizzed the arrow around fixing things.


I guess technological things like this (a guy from India controlling my computer) should no longer be interesting, but I was fairly wowed by the whole thing (when I wasn't swearing at how long it was taking). Anyway, what about you guys. Anybody have a worse virus story to scare the rest of us with?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there is no 100% effective PC prophylactic, CD. Abstinence is the only sure way.

Seriously, though, how did you download it? Was it through email, and what was the subject line?

8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spybot Search and Destroy my amigo.... that's what the folks in the IT dept at work use, and we make those computer chip thingeees.
Was the virus on the laptop or the desktop? I assume the former - the desktop once had some crazy viruses on it as well, but luckily they were zapped and went away.

So what website were you perusing that caused said virus? Were you looking into harvesting breast milk - smart move my man!

1:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I downloaded it. I did open up some span on my e-mail (which just 1 day this summer stopped blocking stuff out), but I didn't open any attachments.

I guess I should have tried Search and Destroy. I did find it interesting that the website the guy went to was called bleepingcomputer.com

2:31 pm  
Blogger Jenny! said...

That sucks!

9:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home