Friday, December 22, 2006

Classic Rock Equivalent

As someone who spent most of his formative years listening to Classic Rock (WCKG!), I pose the question, does every current band have classic rock equivalent? I'd like to think so.

Radiohead = Pink Floyd
This one is a slam dunk. Both are interesting, experimental, and not as deep as they think they are.

Marylin Manson = Alice Cooper
Anther easy one, but might already be a little dated (what happened to Marilyn Manson?). Both are more known for the shockingness than their songs. Kind of look the same. Only difference I can think of is Alice Cooper seemed to take himself a whole lot less seriously.

U2 = Steve Miller Band
I'm sure I'm alone on this. but think about it: lots of hits, all recognizable, nothing too crazy, better greatest hits album than actual albums. Yes, I think it works. Steve Miller just got unlucky and Bono very lucky.

Snoop = Eric Clapton
A werid one, but kind of works. Individual work is just above average, but both are seemingly everywhere, always turning up on various albums with various people. Both have careers that have outlived various musical trends. Yeah, it kinda works.

Jack Johnson = Jack Johnson
Are we sure his albums aren't just some dead guy from the 60s that are just being slowly released? I really think this guy's career would have been no different had his music come out 30 years ago.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I just stopped reading that blog after the first sentence. Pink Floyd at their best was every bit as deep as they thought they were. I love your blog, and I respect you, especially since you work with middle school kids, like me, but you're way off base here. Remember, if you don't dare to come off pretentious, than what are you? That's right; a chicken.

Radiohead was the great modern hope for rock. They made 2 consecutive GREAT albums with The Bends and OK Computer, and then they ventured into sucky-ass-electronic-music with Kid A. Granted it's a really cool record, but I wish someone else made it. Someone who wasn't on the cusp of making that coveted third classic album in a row. 3 in a row is something bands haven't done since the days of, I don't know, maybe PINK FLOYD.

Sorry, I'm drunk and opinionated. Nothing but love, Chuck. Word verification was Paton. Hmmmmm

12:30 am  
Blogger darci ann said...

You are a real music lover - with a much broader depth and breadth than me. I am trying to think of alternatives to U2/Steve Miller band. Still haven't found what I'm looking for... paired with.. my grandpa he's 95 and he keeps on dancing he's still alive. :)

2:52 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Dr. Ken-

No worries about the difference of opinion. I actually try to piss people off on my music blogs, it helps increase comments. Usually this has been done via Radiohead/Flaming Lips jabs, but now it appears that Pink Floyd too can be a sore spot.

I like Pink Floyd, or probably should say liked since I haven't listened to them in a while. And I remember at first totally thinking they were way deep. "Dude, I totally get The Wall now, it's like he's building a WALL against society!" Not to sound pretentious, but can a wall really be a metaphor? Isn't it just doing it's precribed job?

So yah, I like Pink Floyd, and just sitting here writing about them I'm remembering what a fantastic song Comfortably Numb was. But I still will maintain that they aren't quite as deep aa they thought they were.

12:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home