Monday, July 24, 2006

Take Me Out To The Ballgame


Just got back from a trip down to good ol' Chi-town and had the great fortune to attend a Cubs game. Here are a few random observations about the day...

1. The team was virtually unrecognizable to me. I wouldn't have recognized a single name other than Zambrano and Phil Nevin if I hadn't watched a game with my dad the night before

2. The game had a ton of people there. I found this impressive considering it had been thunderstorming just that morning, it was a Thursday afternoon (don't these people work? Guess I can't really judge them...), and the Cubs are like 20+ games under 500. I love the fact that they are still so much more popular than the World Serier winners across town.

3. What is it about Wrigley? And is it anything? I've always loved it there, but that might have more to do with my childhood memories of Ryno, Shawon, and Andre than the actual park. I can't really compare it favorably to any other stadiums because the only other park I visited was Commiskey (which everyone agrees sucks). Actually, that's not true. I did go to Fenway once and was wondering what the big deal was. But maybe that's just because I had Wrigley to compare it to...

4. One great thing about baseball games in general (I'm assuming this is true of other as well, I might be wrong) is just that feeling of oldness. Not to be a Blazer hater or sound like a grumpy old man, but I hate all that stupid extra entertainment that goes on at the games. You know, like those fucking annoying shirt catapulters or those gymnastic cast-off who set up near your seats and throw eachother in the air- the game, people watching, and food ordering is enough.

5. Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Cubs Win!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home