Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Music Issue #3

Music Issue #1
Music Issue #2

Beirut "Gulag Orkestar"
Miguelito!!! You've been holding out on me! Your roomy told me about the Beirut album and it is marvelous, to say the least. I'm not really sure how to explain it- Eastern Europe Alt Country? What would happen if the Magnetic Fields guy had been born in Bulgaria? Black Cat White Cat Pop? I give up. Just do not pass go. This 19-year old high school dropout from Albequerque defies convention and is a can't miss listen.

Tribute To Will Oldham "I am a Cold Mountain, I am a Dull Grass"
An interesting album. What I like about a good tribute album is that it is all held together by being all one person's songs, but each artist puts their own twist on it. A sort of similar/different thing going on (Deep Chuckdaddy- I'll shut up now). Additionally, Oldham's songs are so bare that they make good subjects for different takes. I wouldn't say it's a gulagastic album, some of the covers don't add anything new, but I think it's really good and you wouldn't have to be a diehard Oldham fan to enjoy it.

Pinetop Seven "Beneath Confederate Lake"
Another thing I like about tribute albums, are they give you a chance to get acquainted with some new bands. Three particulalry interesting covers were done by Pink Nasty, Sodastream, and, a band whose album I then bought, Pinetop Seven. Am presently questioning this buy a little, but still have hope. Pinetop's an alt-country band from Chicago that genre jumps a bit between folk, jazz, and dance hall piano jams. Some of the songs I really like, particularly the instrumental ones. A few though ring a little cheesey. The problem might be the guy's voice, he's a bit of warbler. It'll probably end up as an album that I keep about half the songs of.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I was spot on with the Beruit reco. Perhaps this makes up for my Wolf Parade reco--which you should love by now, but oh well. Nice to know that I am contributing something positive to the world for once.

I'm sure Crageoke has already played in a band with Zach Condon by now...

9:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckdad,

I'm glad you liked the Beruit album.

If you're looking for new music to listen to, I have a few suggestions this week:
1) White Whale - Have the My Morning Jacket / Lambchop thing going on... sound also described as 'Roxy Sabbath'
2) Midlake - Kinda sound like an updated Steely Dan / Fleetwood Mac type of thing
3) KASHMERE STAGE BAND (Texas Thunder Soul 1968-1974) - This recent reissue is actually one that sounds really good - a Texas soul band made up primarily of teens (at least when they started)
4) The first Spoon album has just been reissued (sounds like the Pixies)

happy listening.... do check out before you buy, or just shamelessly download...

8:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckles- just got back from Chicago having seen Sunset Rubdown headline and the famous Metro. Spencer Kruge is gawd!

10:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home