Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Music Issue


White Stripes: "Get Behind Me Satan"
My opinion on the White Strips has always been extreme. The songs I like, I LOVE. But their albums always contain so many songs I dislike that I can't ever listen to the album all the way through. It almost makes me want to wait for their Greatest Hits Album. Their new album is my favorite of their's thus far. For the first half I actually considered that they might have put together a perfect album. Unfortunately, after the midway point, a few songs get into that overdone Black Sabbath sound that always forces me to skip a song or two. It makes me wonder. I know Jack White prides himself on spending no time in the studio, but maybe a little more editing would help iron out some of each album's issues. I know I know... They would lose some of their raw rock authenticity. But it also sort of reminds me of those kids who showed off about how they didn't study for a test and still passed it. As if they're supposed to get extra points for their potential genious. I'm probably in the minority with this view, but maybe with a little more studying, Jack White could finally pull off an A+.

Sufjan Stevens: "Illinoise"

Sufjan Stevens is supposedly going to make an album for all the fifty states. Good luck there buddy... So far he's gotten to two: Michigan and, on his new album, Illinois. I highly recommend it. I have a hard time describing music, but I guess I would say his songs are soft, mellow, ballads(?). Anyway, not that there seems to be a distinct difference between his two state albums, but I have instantly gotten way more into Illinoise. Of course I might be biased by being from there and greatly appreciating his Abe Lincoln and Sear's Tower references. Or there might be a subtler reason. Music afficianado M-Bomb Ferrigno said Illinoise had more "instrumentation". I'm not sure exactly what that means, maybe more instruments? A fuller sound? But the result is, at least for me, a slightly better album. And I can't wait for the District of Columbia release.


M.I.A.: "Arular"
M.I.A.'s album is very cool, maybe a bit too cool for me. M.I.A.'s music is kind of what you'd get if Missy Elliot was a Tamil Tiger: a dancy, rappish, conglometerate, with major Indian influences. I love that she has been getting a lot of press, but I'm not sure it's the album for me. It definitely is unique, but also a little irritating. I think if I was more into electronic music I would really like it. Buy it anyway, if for nothing else, because all proceeds go to the Tamil Freedom Fighters.

If interested, you can read her biography

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to quell those thoughts of "maybe I'm not cool enough for MIA"... have you considered the fact that perhaps MIA isn't cool enough to hang with the Chuckdaddy? Huh, how about those apples? Think about it in those terms and you'll be better equipped to get down to the new London sound.

12:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie (and all my other P-Town friends) - I feel so out of the loop down here in my little mountain/lake town. I heard MIA on NPR back in January and I keep meaning to pick it up. If only every record store we had when I moved here hadn't closed down…sigh...As for the White Stripes, I really WANT to like them. I keep trying. I came very close to buying their first big album in 2002 but chose Jack Johnson instead (we all know my thing for hot surfer guys). I like the stuff Jack White did with that country chick (I can picture her in her fluffy peach dress but just can't get her name), but the rest is still up in the air for me. Again on NPR (my only link to the outside world...until now) I heard a few of the new songs and a lovely little interview with the two whites. I guess if Jack and his ex-wife/sister weren't so smug I might've liked the music a little more. This whole sharing opinions is pretty funny. What's not funny is that a contractor accidentally broke a main sewer line in the lake today and 1/2 the beaches have shut down. Yucky. OK...now I feel like I'm just going on and on, plus I feel guilty that I should be working or in yoga, but instead I'm pulled into this big city thing you all call "Blogging". ~cheers dj

6:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Five Words.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

clapyourhandssayyeah.com

all you need to know. Neutral Milk Hotel meets Talking Heads meets the future.

They will be touring this Fall opening up for another fine band, The National, whose latest "Alligator" is spectacular. I like Sufjan in doses- I really like Okkervil River as for that genre.

12:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craigeokie - I downloaded Clap Your Hands several weeks ago. You really need to get on the bandwagon.
The next thing you know you're going to get all high & mighty on the Hold Steady, who are surely overrated at the moment....

5:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with CDX on the White Strips--too unpredictably bad/good and when it comes down to it, I can't stand their gimmick. He dated RZ and starred in Cold Mountain. Ick. Also agree on MIA. I like some of it but the rest of it annoys the diaperless baby crap out of me; however girl got talent. I still need to listen to the new Sufjan still. I really liked his Michigan album, even the churchy stuff. Romulus still gets to me. I think he's a brilliant lyricist. Ya'all need to get one the Broken Social Scene bandwagon--nearly perfect album, IMHO.
Petrovich I am impressed with your list of perfect CDs. To bad I have no idea who you are, but I bet you are dead sexy.

7:49 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

I think I sounded too critical about Get Behind Me Satan (AND I MUST SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT). I really like it and appreciate that this album is more groovy. I was just liking it so much that the two derivative overly heavy guitar songs particularly disappointed me.

3:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mikey Miguellito for your insight on Clap Your Hands- you downloaded it so soon because you are actually 'in the band' aren't you? Didn't you start joining bands as a way of hearing them before everyone else? Cool!

12:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home