Thursday, July 14, 2005

Meta-Blogging

Ahh.... Blogging about blogging. Is this the true post-modern moment?

Anyway, so I have now finished my first week as an intergalactic blogger. And I have to say, the experience has been interesting. The ability to be published immediately combined with people's potential comments was much more exciting than I expected. I mean, while I was taking Jack for a walk, who knows what could be happening. Perhaps a dynamic argument about Che is underway or a fight has broken out over where the best Caesar salad is. WHO KNOWS? Unfortunately, what I've learned quickly this week, by checking 4 or 5 times a day, is just because people could be responding, it doesn't mean they are. And, in general, the discussions have been limited to Petrovich and I, when we could be just using the old fashioned phone.

The question remains, even if I was getting more readers and comments, would a blog be a good place for a discussion? Going through random blogs, I found most of the comments being nice but kind of pointless. Examples : "Good job keep it," or, "That was funny." Not that I'm in the position to be picky about my comments (and wouldn't love those), but was that the point in doing this? I guess, those comments and looking at other blogs have made me think blogging might be more about presenting your opinion than having discussions. But perhaps I just haven't seen enough or haven't given it enough time.

Still, there's something about the process I've really liked. For instance I'm really glad I wrote the (now infamous in blog circles, let me tell you) Che blog. The night before I had told Marsha about this article and when she asked me for the specifics, I could barely remember any. By writing it, I think I'll both remember it better and can now go back and check it myself when I forget stuff. I read a lot, but maybe I need to spend more time processing what I've read if I really want to get anything out of it. (there's of course the reality though that as I've blogged, I've read less. If I continue blogging at this pace, will I even have time to read anything to blog about?)

Also, even though the discussions I've had have erred on the ridiculous, as they've been limited to the Notorious P.E.T.E. and I . Still, there is something kind of good about writing an argument rather than saying it. You have to think about it more, which I like.

Well anyway. I want to thank everyone who has come to read this thus far, it has helped make my summer seem more relevant. I'm going to keep it up until the end of the month and see where it all goes...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great. I love your blog but am too shy to tell you how much.

12:46 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Oooh... I have a secret commenter. I am so happy!!!! Thank you anonymous!

1:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me like fight! Me like loud! Grrrrrrrr!

1:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um..I can't help but feel slighted. I have left ample comments on your blog. Perhaps they are not as long at Petrovich's but I am not as cool or verbose.

9:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this is Marsha, signed on as "anonymous" because there's no way I'm creating a fucking "Blogger display name." That said, anonymous better back off, "Chuckdaddy" is a married man. And while I'm at it: Charlie you are such a dork. Meta-Blogging: the true post-modern moment"???????
STOP already.

10:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie's married? Oh shit! I only commented to get his attention. Shit! Shit! Shit! Damn you marcia! Damn you! He's so cute- looks like a little straight Harry Potter, don't he? Damn you Marcia!

6:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Chuck- what I really want to know is, what exactly is a "blog"? The term is thrown around as if it Webster owns it and I, who loves words and has an ear for the new and strange, have never heard of it. Now, pardon me if you've already had this conversation with your "bloggers", who by the way, have clearly come out since your last "blogging", but what is IT? A chance to hurl our opinions onto oneanother via computer? Collaborating as a team to come up with the next gathering's "ice breaker"? A slow destruction of the talking word? As bored as we get in the summer, I'm a little worried about what this will do to the future of the human race. Shhhh... don't talk, just type.

Actually, it's creepily appealing.
And yes, Charlie, the more we type the less we read, much like the more we talk the less we listen. I'm known to master the latter.

Holy fuck, I need an account to "blog"!?
ridiculous.

8:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright Charlie, now that your readership is making themselves known, the pressure is on. I expect nothing short of the most inspired blogging on the net.

9:12 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

All right! I am very glad my fans have come out of the closet. SOrry, Melissa, I should have given you more love. You were the original B.L.O.G.G.E.R. Anyway... Wow now the pressure is on

10:27 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Easy there Marsha. Don't go alienating my fans- especially my secret admirer anonymous ones (not to be confused with my computer-befuddled friends - Caroline and Marsha choose the "Other" category).

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home