Thursday, July 07, 2005

Worst Restaurant In Portland

Yes, this post for all my foodie fans. AVOID THE MUMMY AT ALL COSTS! Actually, I take that back. I mean, how often do you get to experience anything so wholly misery producing?

The Mummy is an Egyptian Restaurant near PSU. For drinks it would be great since it is in a basement (always a plus for a bar) and has lots of tacky gold Egyptian statues (unique!).

But the food was really something else. I got lamb kabobs. They came with oily rice and cooked vegetables that looked like they came out of a can. And it was cold. Like really cold. Since I have very few taste buds, I have little trouble eating anything. But I was barely able to eat half. The kicker was that it cost $16.50. I mean, I could have gone out to a nice dinner for that much or had 8 meals at Taco Bell (which is infinitely better than The Mummy).

The Mummy got me wondering though if there was a worse place to eat than it in Portland. If so, please comment. I really haven't found anything close. I remember a mediocre-small portioned meal at Garbonzo's, but that was at least cheap and not so bad. And my wife and I had a cold weird meal at the Nueva Latin eatery that replaced the first site of La Calacalaca (near The Jolly Roger), but that place only lasted about 6 months. I have my doubts that any restaurant could serve cold, bad, and overpriced food and not go out of business. My friend thought The Mummy might be a front for drug ring. I think she's probably right.

What was sad was that I wanted to love The Mummy. I love Egyptian mythology and the Egyptian food market is totally untapped. But Mummy, you let me down.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I don't understand is how the hell did the Mummy rate so high on citysearch? I was riding the Chuck Daddy Xpress the night of the fated Mummy dinner, and what made the meal even more unpleasant was that it came with a side of guilt. I had heard about the bad food, so I ate beforehand and our waiter kept asking me why I am not eating, brought me an extra plate, etc. Umm...it's because your food is not fit for child molesters on death row...

11:29 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

I read the comments on City Search. They were very bizarre. 1 person really liked it, but 4 others both hated it and were in disbelief that someone had liked it. Does citysearch rate things seperately as bars or resataurants?

1:09 pm  
Blogger k-bro said...

ok, i know we all love citisearch, but i'm betting that most of the ratings came from the owners (usually but not always obvious), or mummies. speaking of which, what on earth posessed you to eat food at a place named after petrified dead people? maybe not a good idea. strange, though, that once i read your commentary, i found myself thinking, "why have i never been to the mummy?" i'm trying not to fall prey to the "this is so disgusting...here, taste it" syndrome.

2:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home