Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Iron Cage Match: Hippies versus Hipsters

I'm not sure why I've been so obsessed w/ hippies lately. Perhaps b/c they are starting to feel like a dying breed in my beloved Portland. And who is replacing them you ask? Yes, the hipsters. So riders, what I'm curious about, is whom would you prefer your city dominated by: hippies or hipsters?





Advantages to Hippies

Travel more
More liberal

More open-minded

Friendlier



Advantages to Hipsters

Funnier

Better dressers
Smell Better

More realistic

Less likely to try to get you to sign their petition








In the end though, I think I'm going to have to go w/ hippies since pretty much everything I like about Portland has more to do w/ them (community oriented, knee-jerk liberals, mellow). But who do you guys seeing winning this iron cage match?


Hippies: 3 1/2

Hipsters: 1 1/2

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hipsters win hands down in my book.

Hipsters have much better taste in music, but I wouldn't agree that they always smell better.

3:27 pm  
Blogger Kritkrat said...

Hippies any day!! Fuck the posers.

4:25 pm  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

I love 'em both!

I want to be a hipster! I want to be a hippie! I want to be both, and yet -- tragically -- I know that I shall never be either.

Sigh....

6:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've either been called "Hipster" or "Hippie" my whole life - not because I'm either but because of my last name ("hipsher"). Somehow in my mind this makes me an expert on the matter. And my expert opinion is...

Both are full of shit.

If forced to choose, however, go with hippies. Their delusion is happy and mostly innocent, and often chemically induced. Hipsters are almost always artificially dark and self-important. I'll take happy dope smokers any day.

7:06 am  
Blogger Jenny! said...

I don't want to be either...but Hippies have better drugs!

7:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hippies listen to lame music - grateful dead or some phish sounding disaster. Hipsters listen to a wider array of music and are into better books, movies and art, so would have to go with the hep-cats here. What about beatniks?

11:43 am  
Blogger I'm Not Carrie Bradshaw said...

Ugh. Even though I was subjected to hippie parents I would pick them any day over self-important hipsters that will eventually drive me out of PDX.

11:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home