Monday, September 11, 2006

Gay Retards


I have a confession to make. Not only do I think the word "retarded" is funny, but I find it disproportionately funny. Like, if someone uses it in a joke, I will laugh twice as hard b/c of their word choice. Sort of like when you were 12 and someone used "fucking" as an adjective.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I do like to think of myself as a non-developmentally disabled dissing guy. Or at least not an utter and total hypocrite (I get on students who use the same word). I guess in the end, I like think that I find it funny not in a let's-laugh-at-disabled people sort of way, but more of an I'm-so-beyond-that-type-of-thinking-that-it's-funny-in-a-weren't-we-lame-as-teenagers sort of way.

I had pretty much grown pretty comfortable with this reasoning, but then it all got thrown off the other day when a friend used "gay" to make fun of something. And I think he was using pretty much the same logic. I mean, I know that he's completely non-homophobic, so it seemed to be more of an I'm-so-beyond tact. Maybe even with an edge of I'm-somehow-making-fun-of-the-type-of-people-who-use-this-word-by-using-it-when-I'm-not-prejudiced sort of way. Either way, the logic seemed to be convuluted, at the least and made me question whether I should continue using "retarded".

Still, I do think it's a little different. "Retarded" really is just a synonym for "dumb" or "idiot", and although that's not nice, it's probably no nicer to make fun of dumb idiots. Also, there seems something kind of evil about using "gay" purely as a perjorative (did I use that right?). I'd actually be more okay w/ it if it had something to do with gay people, but instead it's just a synonym for "lame" or "dumb". Most importantly, I guess I'm just more concerned with the plight of gays than the plight of retards, so it does slightly worry me to here that connotation being brought back, even if it wasn't meant that way.

So where I'm at presently is that I'm okay saying "retarded" but not "gay". And gay retards? Well that's fucking hilarious.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael5000 said...

I think dumb idiots are funny because they are so, stupid.

9:39 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Spooky. This other blog I go to (watch out- it's sports) was having a very similar discussion.

http://www.themightymjd.com/2006/09/12/tom-jackson-is-a-dick/#comments

9:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say "gay," one of my roommates in college was gay and I was conditioned and given 50 lashes for using it as a descriptor.. not meaning any slight as you stated, but just a long time habit and adjective of the vocabulary. I think because that I'm more sensitive to it, so I avoid calling something retarded, but -- when Carlos Mencia says it, and goes "deee-deee-duuuh," to describe dumb idiots I laugh pretty loud. i guess this makes me a hypocrit...?... and I'm totally confused now. Who am I? Why are we here? Are you my mother?

11:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie this entry is lame-ass gay retardedness.

Actually I don't like using "gay" or "retarded" in a negative sense. Call me PC.

I was at a conference were one of the keynote speaking used the term "retarded" in a durogatory manner. It did not go over well.

5:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I hate PC bullshit. Who gives a fuck they are only words. Just labels. The equivalent of grunts that we all understand.

The use of gay is the same as any other label. The majority of people find "gay" to be unaccpetable so to label things gay means they suck (no pun intended).

If gay people find that objectionable well too bad, life is full of crap and we all get a helping.

Dont be such a nancy!

There now you have more than 4 posts.

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home