Sunday, December 04, 2005

Eternal Question #2




Why Was Kid Rock Ever Popular?

I find this eternal question much more vexing. And I think it reminds me that everything does not happen for a reason. I mean, what's the trend here? White-trash cool? Nope, never happened. Rap-Rock redefining popular music? Not really. Midget side kicks sweeping the musical nation? I sure hope not.

I guess you could argue that he was part of a white rap off-shoot that carried in Eminem (trailer rap), and Limp Bizkit (Rock and Rap). And that people tired quickly of the rock angle. But that doesn't explain it to me. Limp Bizkit at least had multiple successful albums and Eminem was always a rapper first and foremost. But Kid Rock has one hit song, and years later he's sleeping with Pamela Anderson and being cheered for at Pistons Games?

Was it his name? His one great line "I'm not straight out of Compton, I'm straight Out of The Trailer"? I think it was dumb weird luck. I think if you replayed life 1,000 more times, Kid Rock would have made it only one of those times. I think a confluents of random events happened just so and Kid Rock (along with Billy Bob Thornton now that I think of it) just happened to drop into our national conscience. And, thanks to shows like Surreal Life (can't you see it?) he might just never leave...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about the hat and wife beater. I also think he was relate-able for the vast majority of Americans....

9:59 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Hmmmm... So maybe he's like the male Rosanne for this generation? And we only let one of them through the door every decade? Hmmm...

9:25 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Welcome back Petrovich!!! And the first item on my to-do list is to fire that lazy-ass fact checker of mine.

All good points. I had no idea about the depth and range of Kid Rock's abilities. The post-9/11 I love America theory is an interesting one and you might be on to something. My intern informs me that Kid Rock's breakthrough album came out three years prior to September 11th, but that might be why he's been able to persist so oddly long. I think we're getting somewhere...

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home