Sunday, November 13, 2005

Perfect Movies

Petrovich and I share a concept we call "The Perfect Movie." The guidelines are that it is a great movie, that nothing should be changed on. And it is not necessarily your favorite movie or even the best movie. For instance, although I liked Pulp Fiction better, Reservoir Dogs is closer to perfect (although not quite). For all the genius in Pulp Fiction, it has the mediocre Bruce Willis section. And I even have to hold that my favorite movie, Shortcuts, is not perfect. Greatest dialogue and characters ever, but a little messy at times. Perfect movies have to astound you while being tight and having no obvious flaws.

It has been way too long since I've seen a perfect movie. Over the last month I've seen three good ones: The Constant Gardener, Good Night Good Luck, and The Whale and the Squid. Each one I'd recommend, but each could have bee improved. With the Constant Gardener I really didn't understand the political plot and they neglected to show us why his wife and he ever liked eachother (other than opposites attact, but that's actually a non-reason). The Whale and the Squid looks at divorce with a mix of humor and pain, but at times its mock indie tone made me distanced from their feelings, which worked against it. And I felt like the writer hadn't really decided on what the mom's character was. Good Night Good Luck is the closest, since I can't really think of anything they should change, but it doesn't quite get there because it was almost too easy. I loved that they centered you in the time, but in the end they're preaching to the choir that the whole country is in. Who doesn't think McCarthy was an idiot? And you can make your own connections to today, but you don't have to.

I don't mean to imply that Perfect movies actually have to be 100% perfect. They are rare, but not impoosible to find. The following are a list off the top of my head

Rushmore
City of God

Nobody's Fool
Permanant Midnight
(I think, although it could've just been my mood. I've found no one else who's even come close to agreeing with me on this)
You Can Count On Me
American Splendor
Far From Heaven

Chuck and Buck (Ingeniously disturbing)
Silence of The Lambs
Good Fellas
Trainspotting
Crimes and Misdemeanors

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many to name:

Dr. Fucking Strangelove!

Raging Bull
Godfather
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Sunset Boulevard
Breathless
Notorious
Singing in the Rain
400 Blows
8 1/2
La Strada

Honestly I can't put You Can Count on Me and Far From Heaven in the same category with these classics.

8:08 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

I think of it less as "classics" and more as really good movies with no discernible mistakes. I'd agree with most of yours, but am not sure about Dr. Strange Love or Citizen Kane. It's hard to judge Kane, since it's kind if weird watching "the best movie ever". I'll take everyone's word for it that it was cinematic genius, but I didn't quite care (or at this point remember ) the story. And Kubrick? He does important movies but not exactly perfect ones. Have you seen 2001 lately? I fell asleep. Other than Clockwork I think he's a little overrated.

7:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I thought You Can Count on Me was too schmultzy and predictible. There's no accounting for taste and there's no such thing as a perfect movie.

10:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to inform ya that no movies was as good as booty call or love dont mean a thang

A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN

9:27 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

EMHO - well maybe that's because you're schmultzy and predictable! What now?

6:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should go back to exploring the intracacies of mattress advertising? Maybe the Mattress World owner's estranged sibling will come for a visit and disturb the slumber of the fair haired child; however ultimately it will bring the family closer...ahh, so life affirming.

11:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home