Sunday, October 23, 2005

Iron Cage Match #2



Mattress World versus Sleep Country USA

This week's match-up is, again, not even close. Sorry Sleep Country USA, but Mattress World's jingle has you beat, and then some.

The tune of Sleep Country USA is not terrible. Annoying, but it is an ad and does stick in your head, which is the purpose. But not only is Mattress World's catchy, but it goes a step further. The passion the singer pleads with seems out-of-place, but earnest. And although Sleep Country USA make a solid point in, "Why buy a mattress anywhere else," it falls short of Mattress World's esoteric admonishment that, "It's not too late to sleep like a baby." What does this mean exactly? How do they know I haven't been sleeping like a baby, and did I really sleep that well as a baby? Don't they wake up crying a lot? Sleep like a teenager would probably be more fitting. Alright, maybe I'm being a wee bit too literal, but the line does sort of fascinate me. It almost seems Freudian, reminding us how happy we once were in the safety of childhood and that it's not too late to return to the happy womb... of Mattress World. So after flinging Sleep Country USA against the ropes, a quick clothes line closes out this match.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember which it was at, but when I was in the market for a new mattress a little while back, one of the slick salesguys at either Sleep C USA or McMatress World said to me, after I asked him about lowering the price of one of the Simmons BeautyRest mattresses, that he understood I wasn't trying to "jew him down". I responded that I hoped I wasn't doing that, since I was 1/2 jewish. I think he lost the sale....

8:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make an interesting case...babies don't sleep so soundly, but teenagers on the other hand, are sleep marathon athletes. Thanks, again Chuck Daddy for challenging the social norms and making us think outside the box.

8:37 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Miguelito - You should have told him you were 1/2 Jewish - 1/2 animal and seen what he'd say...

9:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home