Monday, September 05, 2005

Tattoos Are For Losers

All right xpress riders. This trip will be jetting out into a bit of a different course with the imminent arrival (tomorrow) of my job. My plan is now to do 1 or 2 blogs on Sunday, and that would be it. We'll see if work (and my slave driver of a wife) will permit the time. Veteran blogger, EMHO, keeps telling me to keep them shorter and the comments and fan base will come. Perhaps that will make it easier as well.
Anway, I just wanted to start with a dumb little rant about tattoos. This trend has gotten particularly out of control in my lovely city of residence, Portland. It seems like every Tom, Dick, and Henrietta has at least one part of their skin dyed. Perhaps grumpy-old-manitis has set upon me earlier than most, but I just don't get it. Why would you want a picture drawn on your skin? The whole things seems very superficial to me. Why can't you let your personality do the talking instead of a Chinese symbol that you may or may not even know what it's saying? And anyway, even if you do find a symbol that truly represents you, are you so boring and uncomplicated that the symbol wouldn't change at some point in your life? Perhaps it's more about showing toughness (definitely the original purpose). But I can't help but think the toughness quotient must have been permanantly diluted by the sheer number of people sporting their own multi-colored badges of "courage". I don't know, but it just feels to me like people trying really hard to create their individuality with how they adorn themselves. Didn't we get over that stage in high school?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marathons and telethons: a quick Labor Day guide
The Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon continues until 6:30pm tonight. Check local stations.
You have a great blog here!

I have a FHA Mortgages site about FHA Mortgages and stuff.

Check it out if you get a chance...

3:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't even talk about the tramp stamp, which is a sorority girl (plus Dawn) must have.

1:15 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Tramp stamp? What is this you speak of? By the way, is everyone impressed that I now have a sponsor in FHA mortagage?

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. "Square"-daddy,

Yo old man, you are SO out of it! Tats are a way to know whether someone else is part of your tribe, or is cool enough to hang around. Clearly, you don't fall into that category, so I doubt we'll be hanging or slammin' beers together anytime soon. (I guess you'll be too busy at the old folks home or taking Geritol or somethin)

I just got my 9th tat 2 months ago - this awesome Celtic design on my left shoulder. Are you trying to tell me that's not cool? Fuck you man, it's way rad!!! I mean, maybe I wouldn't hang out with the guy who has the "I have a Small Dick" tat, but I would most definitely rather hang out with someone on my vibe and in the tribe than some clueless dork like you....

12:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home