Thursday, October 13, 2005

Iron Cage Match #1



Clap Your Hands versus Wolf Patrol

All right, this week we'll be pitting two new Indies against eachother. Who will come out to see the light of day? Read below to find out!

Sorry Wolf Patrol, but Clap Your Hands' new album kicks yo butt and then some. Right when I think I'm getting all hip about music, I listen to an album by a band like Wolf Patrol and realize I am far from ever becoming a true Indie Rawk Star. It's bothering me that I can't quite put my finger on why Wolf Patrol sucks my ass so bad. Is it that they sound more pretentious? Is it less rockin'? Or does it have something to do with the instrumentation (help me out here Miguelito)? Both albums are similar, but I keep on putting on Clap Your Hands whereas I forget Wolf Patrol is even playing. Maybe its their 80's influences. While lap Your Hands takes the Talkings Heads in an interesting direction, Wolf Patrol seems to go in the souless synthesized direction of Bloc Party and Interpol. We don't need anymore broke retro New Order bands. So with a quick drop kick to the head, Wolf Patrol drop to the ground for an easy pin by the true up and coming band of the moment.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckles,

I agree that the CYHSY album is more complete whereas the WP album has a few very good songs on it while the rest is uneven. As for pretension, you know if MC Miguelito likes either band that got to already have substantial metro-cred. And I'm sure he's just goofing all over the new Ladytron. But seriously, head to head, I prefer the hits on the WP album to the hits on the CYHSY album. "I'll Believe In Anything" is perhaps the finest song of the year and the closer on the album reminds me of Bruce Springsteen doing his best Bowie.

11:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm partial to Clapping my Hands...When I first heard Wolfie, I was intrigued, but they lost me after a couple of songs. With the exception of the first song on CYHSY(which is akin to scratching nails on a chalkboard), the album flows so well--begging you to listen to one song after another. I also love you they stitch together so many different sounds/influenences. You can't pin them down. I know eveyone says he sounds like David Byrne, but I hear more Magnum(?) from NMH at times and Flaming Lips at others. Also, "The Skin of my Yellow Country Teeth" kicks "I'll believe in anything"s behind. Hands down the best song of hte year.

8:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well emho, you may have a point there about those yellow teeth and all- Sir Charles-a-lot may need to pose the song versus song question - BTW Charlie- me thinks you would love the new Silver Jews record.

6:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craigilioke-

Glad to see that you have come to your senses. I haven't heard the new Silver Jews, but I know a certain metro who probably has...Aren't the Silver Jews related to Pavement somehow? I like to call this genre Indie Dude Music.

3:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing, Craig-Did you hear that Hong 88 is no longer? It's been taken over by Hung Far Low.

3:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladytron now have guitars and are on a major? Puuh-leeeez, biach! I can't be downloadin' that sheeet!

But Chuckdaddy, you're gonna forget all about In-dee-rawk when I whip out the Gypsy tunes on your ass Saturday. You'll be reaching for your Baililaika and doin' the Cossack dance. Get ready to do the Kalinka-Malinka!

7:07 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Kalinka-Malinka! I thought I was the only one. Hey, are the Silver Jews somehow related to Clem Snide?

10:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

copy the below to see what must be a $100 wolf parade video. Kinda interesting....

http://wolfparadefans.com/temp/Shine.mpg

1:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home