Wednesday, August 22, 2007

To All The Bloggers

Here are a few questions I have for the blogging community...



1. Spacing


Does everybody else have issues with the way their blog adds incredibly large spaces when you go to publish it? I swear, I do the best I can to keep an entry on the short side, and then it adds complete paragraphs between a list of numbers.




2. Comment Boxes


I've noticed that about 1/2 of comment boxes are a little windows and 1/2 open up to a whole new page. Were people's just decided by random or do people have strong opinions about this? I'm not sure why this option needs to exist.




3. Responding To Your Commenters


I notice that a lot of people now make at least some response to every commenter. Is this rude not to do? If I fail to do it is it like not calling someone back? I am quite happy to inflate my comment totals as much as possible, but am not sure I have a ready response for my millions (err max 8) comments.




4. How Much Time?


How much time are people spending on theirs and others blogs? And how much time at work? I don't check mine at work. But my job is weird. I am either working in some state of mild panic (doing 4 presentations a day will do that) or am lazily procrastinating on my luxuriously long breaks. But what about you guys? On a side note, I think I'll take whatever number people give me and double them (like doctors do w/ your drinking and probably why mine got freaked out when I said I drank 2 beers a night).

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny! said...

Ok...

The spacing thing pisses me off...I am anal and that drives me crazy.

The comment box thing is your choice you can set it either way you like, but default is a new page for comments.

I ONLY blog at work...and spend a good portion of my day going through my links...alphabetically of course...and not that much time on my own posts...that is usually pretty quick!

I respond ot all of my comments...not to boost my comment number, but because i feel like its more friendly and a good converstaional kind of thing...and also because i have time at work when all the blogs are checked!

If you dont respond ot comments I dont think its rude at all.

9:42 am  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

1. Spacing is a pain in the ass.

2. Comments -- mess around on the dashboard, you can set it as you like.

3. Responding -- Like jenny! says, it's not rude NOT too. But I like blogs where the blogger does. It's more conversational, more fun. Actually, jenny!'s blog is a great example -- a lot of the fun is looking at how she responds to her commenters.

4. I forgot what four was. Oh, wait, I remember. Time. Well, I throw an insane amount of time at blogs. But since it's the same time that I used to throw at gaming, and since this is more verbal, interactive, and creative, I figure I've gone up a notch. It would help if I could confine myself to a single blog.

1:08 pm  
Blogger Samuel John Klein said...

The spacing thing...that's awful strange. When I used Blogger's interface (I use Adobe Contrbute CS3 now) I hit only 2 hard returns after every 'graf-one to end it and one to add a space.

How many hard returns do you use between paragraphs? If three, try only two. If two, try only one. You can always go back and reedit.

I don't think it's rude to not respond...but if I'm interested enough to read an entry i try to come up with something, even if it's a brief bon mot. I would hope that others do for mine...since people apparently read what I write, a little feedback is always welcome. My blog's about me, yes, but it's also just a little bit about people who come by.

That said, you'll post a lot of entries that you think will be quite scintillating but will get no response. That's blog life.

2:07 pm  
Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

Hey...another Portlander!

I HATE the spacing thing. People rarely scroll beyond the initial screens worth of drivel I write anyway so that doesn't help.

I just took the default for comments but I know a lot of people change them.

I do like to respond to anyone that comments. I also like to read the responses from those I've commented on

I spend my entire day blogging...just kidding. I do spend about an hour though.

5:01 pm  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

1. I'm cool with the spacing.
2. The little box is more convenient for people, so I think I'll switch to that.
3. I almost always comment on everyone's comment, but I don't find it rude when people don't do it like me.
4. Sometimes I find myself taking way too long editing or looking for the perfect pictures, but usually I knock out a blog in under a half hour.

7:14 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Let me try the all-inclusive comment responses

Jenny - Glad to hear you share my hatred of the spacing

MMMMMM- Down to one blog! Don't do it!!! I think you should consider expanding further. Maybe a new blog every year. That could get very interesting.

SJKP - Welcome! I've tried lots of tricks w/ the spacing and my success rate seems very random. But I will keep trying (or just give up)

variant E - Also Welcome. You know that's a very good point about reading the responses to one's comments. I do always like to go back and see what was said.

Dr K - Reality is coming back to us! For me I have a teacher thing Monday, groan... Alright, so people do actually prefer the little box. I know I could change it, I just didn't know why. Maybe it's less intrusive? IDN, I will just happily move on...

9:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home