Thursday, July 28, 2005

Getting The Blog Out Of Here


Wow, well's it's been a fun and strange 3 weeks of blogging. I can't decide if it's helped me feel like I have accomplished something this summer or just the opposite. Either way, I have arrived at my first blogging crossroads. For Sunday I am leaving for a month to Guatemala. The plan is to go to a Spanish school on my own for two weeks, then my wife will join me to travel for two weeks.

Now, I realize that this gives me a chance to write interesting blogs about traveling. But seeing as how obsessive I've been during these past three weeks, I think it would be best if I focused on enjoying the trip and not refreshing my blogs window to see if anyone new has commented. Additionally, I'm going to try to immerse myself as much as possible. In the past I was never the uber-backpacker type who refused to talk to other Americans, but I really want to learn the language. So during the 2 week Spanish immersion class I am planning to do no socializing whatsoever in English. We'll see... I wouldn't be surprised to see myself running for an internet cafe on the second day, but I am going to try. Besides, with 5 hours of tutoring and 3 meals with a family, I'm not really sure how I'll have time to do anything else.

I considered doing the blog in Spanish. Unfortunately, that would have resulted in such controversial topics as "Me gusta helado!" or "Mi camisa es agua." But don't freak out. It's going to be okay. The Chuckdaddy Xpress will not be completely closed down for the summer. Tomorrow, I'm going to post 6 topics with very little of my own commentary. Hopefully some good discussions will come from them. Since the comment battles have seemed much more fun than my entries, this might actually be better.

Lastly, I know this is late notice, but does anyone have any advice about Guatemala? I'm doing the program in Quetzaltenango (fortunately nicknamed Shayla) and our plan was to stay in the cooler highlands for our traveling 2 weeks. But we haven't planned anything in particular. Any advice/suggestions will be much appreciated. Oh and since the Academy Awards blog was by far the most fun and controversial, I've moved it to right after this one. That's it for now. Have a great rest of your all summers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckdaddy, sounds like it'll be a great time. I traveled around Europe last year and kept a blog as a road diary - on the good side it kept my adoring masses (my mom and girlfriend) apprised of my experiences and, more importantly, is a thankful reminder of everything for me. So blog if you want to, if it doesn't detract for your time there (after all, you prolly won't be able to do it again). One alternative could be keeping an offline journal that you upload after you return.

Yours is a good blog, definitely pick it back up when you get back.

8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back from Nicaragua- pack your machete!

2:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home