Saturday, October 28, 2006

Not So Funny


You know those things that other people find funny, but you don't? Here's a list of mine.

1. Walking into walls
I don't begrudge the physical humor, but it doesn't make me laugh. Wife on the other hand, sees two people run into eachother on TV and can't contain herself. May be a result of her mom watching excessive amounts of 3 Stooges while wife was in utero.

2. Negative for the sake of being negative
Cynicism, sarcasm, even the occasional outright meanness, I can get into. But people whose only joke is being contrarian, really get to me. This is a current pet peeve of mine since twice in the last month I ordered a beer at a bar and the the bartender responded, "No." And then laughed and got me one. Why did they think this was funny? Could they even use an ounce of creativity or intelligence in making a joke? I mean, literally, a 4-year old could make that joke (and probably does often).

3. Curb Your Enthusiasm
I could probably grow to like this, but of the few I've seen, I just feel vaguely uncomfortable the whole time.

4. John Stewart
I can't really explain this. Smart liberal political humor from a guy who doesn't take himself too seriously- what is there not to love? But I just don't think he's that funny. I actually even feel kind of sorry for him when he's making a joke, like maybe I should laugh to make him feel better. Which is particulalry strange, considering he's a multimillionaire who everyone else loves. I do like Colbert, but just can't get into Mr. Stewart.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon Stewart IS funny. I think you are responding to the fact that he's everywhere right now. I don't like Harry Potter, but I applaud what its done to get kids reading again. Along those same lines, I applaud Jon for geting people thinking about world politics. I am honestly shocked to the rocks that he's as popular as he is.

I've been a huge fan of his since his ill fated stint as a late night talk show host during my senior year of college. It's an added bonus that he's hot as hell.

Of course it's okay that you don't like him. It's still a free country.

Who do you think is funny? Please tell me you recognize the humor that is The Soup. Miguelito and I will need to reconsider our friendship if you don't.

CYE, gets old real quick. Yeah, Larry you are an asshole, who means well--? It makes me uncomfortable sometimes. I really question Cheryl's sanity for staying with Larry. I have to say that I do like Ted Danson's role on the show. Don't ask me why.

I'm with you on slapstick humor. Not my bag at all.

3:19 pm  
Blogger Michael5000 said...

Office humor is almost never funny.

4:09 pm  
Blogger darci ann said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:36 pm  
Blogger darci ann said...

I'm with you on 3/4 all the way (and especially the stooges!!) but Jon Stewart my friend, i'm sorry to say you're just dead wrong. :) i forgive you, because your super/sucky vaccuum post is still one of my all-time favorite blogs ever.

10:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time with this post. I laugh at a lot of schitck under the comedy umbrella including pies-in-the-face, a decent fart joke, John Stewart, even some of the lame standup on Comedy Central, and other inane humor. Perhaps I'm too much of an equal opportunity laugher, or maybe I just like to laugh out loud, who knows...
I want you to expand on the whole idea of negative for the sake of being negative. What do you think of a comedian such as Sarah Silverman? I can't really "get into" her, but I sort of apprciate her whole push the envelope thing when it comes to social and cultural commentary, which is what I think she does. I like shows that have a dim view of those in power and our f-upped culture such as Mr. Stewart, Best Week Ever, and The Soup. There are some really funny Stewart clips out there, did you not see the one about Ted Stevens and the Internet being a series of tubes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TeMNmZL7Q
How about him confronting that bowtie wearing schmuck on Crossfire (that basically sounded the death knell for that show)???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vYQDFAiy0
Anyway, I guess there's something for everyone out there in medialand...
So what are your favorite funny movies of all time?

8:42 am  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

I hope I didn't come off as some type of humor snob. Some things I find funny... Author- David Sedaris, Comedian - Chris Rock, TV - Sex and the City, Movies - Better Off Dead, Something About Mary, National Lampoon's Vacation...

My feelings about John Stewart are pretty much identical to EMHO's of Harry Potter. I am very glad he exists and am particularly happy that he took on O'Reilly that one time. But I just haven't found him that funny. Expected to be in the minority on it, but was thinking maybe someone else out there...

The Negative category was really meant for those people who literally just say no. Like I also work with this guy, and sometimes you'll ask him for something and he'll just say no, but do it with this big smile on his face. And then you just kind of stand there uncomfortaby waiting for him to do it. I'm not sure where the humor is in it...

5:25 pm  
Blogger chuckdaddy2000 said...

Speaking of funny, below a guy does some great Bush imitations.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Iyu-iAqek&eurl=

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home