Friday, October 13, 2006

Confessions From a Portland Driver

I'm not really sure how it happened. Even now, it feels as if someone else inhabited my body for a moment. There I was, at an intersection. Nothing special about it. But when the left-turn light turned green, the car in front of me remained, well, immobile. I wanted to just give them a gentle reminder, a little nudge, but there is no soft-mute in a car, so the next thing I knew was I'm letting out this huge startling honk. It worked, it did the job as they say, but at what price? Was my need to make it through that intersection worth the panic that driver must have felt while I blurted behind them? Would it have really been such a big deal to wait a little?

To make ammends, I plan to stop on busy streets so that pedestrians can cross in front of me and to continue waving politely everytime anyone lets me in.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger darci ann said...

ah! I've totally been there :-) the unbearable guilt of honking, much like the unbearable guilt of throwing out an aluminium can. you know you're from Portland when...

and PS after some friendly encouragement the blogspot is now up and running

12:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Charlie, and I thought I was an Oregon driver!

I wouldn't feel bad about honking. so many people do other things in their car than actually drive like gab on the phone, apply make-up, look for crap or slap around their unruley children. These other things take their atttention away from driving...go ahead and honk. People need reminders that they are driving a car.

7:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home